• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99+ Intake on a '97

FJH97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on doing this swap but as i'm looking for gaskets for the intake/exhaust Fel Pro only goes up to a '98. I remember awhile back when I got my Borla Header there were 2 sets of gaskets in the box. I'm just wondering if the 99+ intake matches up w/ the intake openings on my '97 cyl. head? I'd hate to take everything apart only to find out it wont fit. Any help would be great.

It should be a direct bolt up. I got a set of gibson headers for 91-2001 jeep 4.0 (any jeep) with one gasket. I know that the 99+ intake from a GC 4.0 has longer running intake sweeps and if you have the ABS, you need to take it off to get the intake under hood. In '96 the heads got chaned by moving the intake and exhaust ports up a bit for better air flow and that all the 4.0 parts (any year) are interchangable. They also changed the slugs to coated skirt to cut down on engine noise in '96. I have a set of '93 HO heads, a '94 block and a '96 T-case.

I think the intake ports may be more "D" shaped, but you can port/gasket match that.

As far as i know.....

It will bolt up to any HO head. The problem is the differing power steering mounting arrangements pre-'97 or something like that. When i swapped the intakes on my '98 the old intake just fell away from the gasket. Is a seriously graphite coated gasket and does not tend to stick at all. No need to pull back the exhaust manifold at all to change gasket. Was really quite easy. Just had to extend the Intake Charge Temp Sensor wire to accommodate the new positon. Some of the vac lines are a little diff too but no big deal.

One thing that happened since the swap is that before at times the idle would not always return to normal like at a stop light. Now has yet to ever do that.

Back