• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which lift for Pavment pounder

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok i got my 91 xj built pretty well know and the local cops do not like it all so im buying another one for my DD and keep my other for the trail so what kind of lift should i run? i wanna run 33 mtrs

ZJ v8 coils
2" coil spacer from Mako off road
2" AAL from Mako off road
1" Block
keep the stock trackbar, LCA's and UCA's, sway bar, and dont get shims or T-case drop
extend the bumpstops, so that you ride on them all the time.
dont get MT/R's - to expensive and they suck go with Thornbirds - much better

WTF???
smallxj said:
ok i got my 91 xj built pretty well know and the local cops do not like it all so im buying another one for my DD and keep my other for the trail so what kind of lift should i run? i wanna run 33 mtrs
SEARCH!!!!!!!! (you know im joking right?)

Even though lifting a pavement only vehicle sounds like a dumbass idea to me... OME lifts have the best on road ride. Im not sure if they make a kit big enough to clear 33s though.

The cops know the Jeep real well, or they know the driver? What have you been doing to **** 'em off?

they know the jeep real well im 4.5 zj coils with spacers on it with use to be 35 ssrs just got my mtrs no flares cut fenders and its is full of body damage its like its a cop magnet and im 17 so i thikn that may have somthin to do with them always stopin me

So, let me see if i understand you...

you want to buy another vehicle and lift it (making it easily recognizable), becuase the cops stop you all the time because you drive a recognizable vehicle?

Dumb question, but...

How much of the 'cops pulling you over' equation is being pulled over solely because they recognise your XJ, or that they recognise your XJ because it belongs to 'that damn kid who mouthed off at me'?

I'm not saying that you did, but: having been 17 myself once not that long ago and driving a sports car at the time, I used to get stopped regularly not because of the car, but because they associated me with it. This was the result of a speeding stop where I was well over the limit and tried (badly) to smartass my way out of a ticket.

Just something to consider. By no means am I pointing the finger, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.

basically all the cops down here love big trucks cause they know theres some illegal parts on the trucks that the cops know they can give easy tickets out to. and his hometown is gay

mike do it like dereks and go 4.5 RE kit(shortarms) and run some good radial tires like the bfg muds.

casm - it's the driver, but the driver doesn't realize it yet...

why the hell would you want to lift a pavement pounder? Think of all the money and headaches to do it right. Forget a 2nd XJ, just fab up a removable flare system. There's a guy I used to wheel with who had a similar problem on his sammy. His local detachment used to razz him constantly. He bought a couple of full size tractor trailer mudflaps and cut them in half vertically. Then fastened them with wingnuts under his fender edges. they stick out about 8" on each side and totally cover his stupid-wide axles and tires. They look like sh!t, but they make him instantly legal for about 20 bucks, and its easy enough to take them off when he goes offroad. Does the job. WHy not rig up something like that for a few bucks rather than buy a whole 2nd vehicle with insurance and headaches and sh!t? Sounds like a bunch of total seventeen-year-old-pipe-dreaming horsesh!t to me....

im lucky were i live in GA, all the cops pick on the ricers and rarely on the lifted jeeps and trucks

Silverstreak01 said:
get an old paint faded 88. with 200k on it dont do a thing to it. your trying for not to flashy here.
get a 10 speed Huffy and put some chrome spokes on it with spinners.

Yucca-Man said:
casm - it's the driver, but the driver doesn't realize it yet...

:laugh2: :laugh2:

if it were LEGAL...(everything working etc.) they shouldn't mess with you.
Something is wrong with this picture...

(Please refer to the above quote...)

Ya know I was going to just read this thread and let it be, but then it sounds to me like there are some police or sheriff's posting to this thread. Now maybe the couple I suspect are a fine upstanding officers and that is repsectable and very cool. I grew up in a town where I tried to be very respectable to the law and the Officers in town. But, they were power hungry, glorified hall monitors. I recieved a ticket in an 89 Hyundai for going 36 in a 35 zone. I contested it and when we spent the time to go back to court, the Judge threw it out with a contempt warning to the officer. I also had to deal with this particular officer and some of his close buddies harrassing me all the time for skating, and playing my music loud enough to hear standing 5 feet out side my car. Finally after 4 years of BS, going back to court 3 times and 2 different Judges warning this ass, the first judge put officer Hale in jail for the day, for contempt of court for bothering me.
Those of you who automatically blame the person because the "other" guys is a cop, need to pull your head out. I am one of those guys who have done everything in my power to always abide by the law, and I teach my daughters the same.

Saying, "if it were LEGAL...(everything working etc.) they shouldn't mess with you.
Something is wrong with this picture..."
Is major BS, unless the Office is an honest person, and no offense to those of you who are good officers, I have not personally met many that are!
My .02

Ron4x4 said:
no offense to those of you who are good officers, I have not personally met many that are!
My .02
that is very true and i have had many bad experiences with a rookie cop who thought he was the shi*

Ron4x4 said:
Ya know I was going to just read this thread and let it be, but then it sounds to me like there are some police or sheriff's posting to this thread. Now maybe the couple I suspect are a fine upstanding officers and that is repsectable and very cool. I grew up in a town where I tried to be very respectable to the law and the Officers in town. But, they were power hungry, glorified hall monitors. I recieved a ticket in an 89 Hyundai for going 36 in a 35 zone. I contested it and when we spent the time to go back to court, the Judge threw it out with a contempt warning to the officer. I also had to deal with this particular officer and some of his close buddies harrassing me all the time for skating, and playing my music loud enough to hear standing 5 feet out side my car. Finally after 4 years of BS, going back to court 3 times and 2 different Judges warning this ass, the first judge put officer Hale in jail for the day, for contempt of court for bothering me.
Those of you who automatically blame the person because the "other" guys is a cop, need to pull your head out. I am one of those guys who have done everything in my power to always abide by the law, and I teach my daughters the same.

Saying, "if it were LEGAL...(everything working etc.) they shouldn't mess with you.
Something is wrong with this picture..."
Is major BS, unless the Office is an honest person, and no offense to those of you who are good officers, I have not personally met many that are!
My .02

you make my point. If it's "LEGAL" that's what the judge was there for to determine. Are there Power hungry rookies?? Yes. Do they get Diciplined? You just said so, and proved it.

Are there those who push the limits just to do so? Yes. It's not major BS, just cause you got it from a cop with a " Holier than Thou" attitude, doesn't make it BS. It makes it REAL. Sounds like the Cops in your hood had it out for ya.
Least the Judge had your back. Thats the way the system is supposed to work.

I know alot of GOOD COPS. These guys lay their life on the line everyday so we can enjoy ours. Just becuase one crawled all over you desn't make all of them bad. " Most of the time people make trouble for themselves. " This quote is an easily provable statement, 'specially living near Portland, Or. Ask anyone here in the area.

Last edited:
Ron4x4 said:
no offense to those of you who are good officers, I have not personally met many that are!
My .02
Ya know...its that type of attitude that turns cops into jerks. I have two brothers that are cops and I can tell you...MOST cops hate writing tickets as bad as you hate getting them. Its just more paperwork for them. BUT at the same time they hate punks with bad attitudes worse than paperwork...You have to pass the attitude test or yeah they will be jerks.
I have been driving somewhat illegal jeeps for years now...nothing too bad just the wide tire here or no mudflap there but everytime I have ever been stopped I have acted in a way that has got me out of trouble.
I also drive a semi in California..Which is known for the worst Highway patrol in the country. There too, I have never ever been bothered because I keep the right attitude all the time...even if I am ****ed about it and it always works for my benifit.

Back