• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with SYE...

TDeaton13

NAXJA Forum User
OK here is my question, I have a '97 XJ and I'm going to put a 3" lift on it soon. And many people say that I will most likely need a SYE. Do i really need a SYE? Or could a t-case drop fix it? Do I need a longer drive shaft too? And what are some good brands if I do need the SYE?

Thanks alot!

I have never seen that anyone has needed a SYE with a 3 inch lift. My 3 inch superlift was fine without a SYE. I now have a RE 5.5 and still dont have a SYE- of course I now have a Tcase drop, and Shackles that change the diff angle. I have a freind with a 4.5 Rough country and no SYE, a freind with a RE 3 inch without a SYE. So spend the $ for the SYE on rocker rails or something!
Atom

TDeaton13 said:
what year is yours?

He's got an older one according to the website in his profile.

You'll need one, man. Don't let anyone talk you out of it on your newer rig. IMHO spend the money and do the SYE now, ditch the t-case drop. You'll need a new rear driveshaft because you're changing to a double cardan style shaft, and since you're elminating the slip yoke, the shaft will need a slip in it.

Advanced Adapters has the kit you need, and Tom Wood can hook you up with the shaft you need. If you need further info feel free to PM me. ;)

Atom said:
Shackles that change the diff angle.
wouldnt shackles make the angle worse? that would point the axle up, towards the t-case output, when it needs to be parallel to the output angle of the t-case
or am i wrong... (sorry to hijack)

everyone says: 3" in 97 or newer = SYE time
4.5" in 96 or older = ok, tcase drop

XJ_ranger said:
everyone says: 3" in 96 or newer = SYE time
4.5" in 95 or older = ok, tcase drop
Fixed it for ya, and those aren't finite heights. Some jeeps will vibrate when you look crosseyes at it, while others will be fine beyond those limits.

ok, i admit it, i only read teh part the pertains to 92... thanks for correcting my infor yucca

Back