• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D 44 Axle Shaft Installation ???

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I have this XJ D-44 axle housing that I had a T-locker and gears installed in a couple of weeks ago. I'm now trying to get the rest of it assembled. I bought the shafts separate from the housing so I haven't seen it assembled and I didn't get to disassemble it. I had new outer seals and bearings pressed on the shafts. Are there inner seals that install in the axle tube? All of the manuals I have seem to say that there are, and actually I bought a couple from autozone. But I am having a hard time getting the shafts installed, and I'm afraid to hammer on them too hard. Also, I wonder how oil can get to the wheel bearing if there is a seal between the diff and the bearing. I did pull out the old bearing races from the axle tube, there were no seals behind them.

And I think the short shaft goes in the drivers side, is that correct??

I have too much money in this thing to screw it up, so have some patience with a newb question. :helpme: :)

Thanks,

Fred

The only seals are pressed onto the shaft. D-44 fronts have seals at the housing. The shorter side is the driver's side. You're actually getting ready to install that thing? ;)

-Jon

there is a plate that is supposed to bolt down on the housing that is between the flange and the bearing, that should give you the correct preload

I'm trying, I'm trying. :)
So there is no seal between the diff and the axle bearing, just to make sure I don't #$%^ it up. I as good at wrecking stuff, as I am at fixing it. :dunce:
I do have the shaft outer seal between the bearing and the seal retainer/holding plate.

Thanks,
Fred

Sounds like you're good to go. Are you having trouble getting the splines into the carrier or just seating the shaft? I've had to use the backing plate and bolts to pull the shafts completely in.

-Jon

Seating the shaft, but it's all good now. :party:

Thanks, one of these days we'll do a trail again.

Fred

Back