• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre –vs- Post ‘97

Warthog

NAXJA Forum User
There should be no “dimensional” difference between the pre ’97 uni-body and the newer post ’97 uni-body…….correct? I know about the interior and exterior cosmetic differences…i.e. bumpers and fender flares, but are there differences in the drive train mounting locations?

I have a rolled ’91 Laredo and I’m shopping for a replacement rig and would like to step up to the newer body style and possibly lower mileage rig. I’m lifted and armored to the teeth…..but will my stuff transfer to the newer uni-body?

I’ve also researched the conversion from 2wd to 4wd “should this need to be done” and I understand the tail shaft and adapter issues…….I thought I would just swap my aw4 and transfer case to the newer rig. Would there be any problems with the wiring connections from old to new? And I would assume the transmission tunnel is universal allowing me to transfer the shift lever and its hardware as well.

Any help would be appreciated………..and no, chopping the roof is not an option. :)

Yea, everything is the same on the unibody. You should have no problem transfering your lift components. I dunno about the tranny though. I'm not that far into modification like some on the forum.

Body-wise it should all fit. I helped a friend move her lift off a 99 back to a 91 although she didn't change engine, tranny or t-case. In your case you'll have some wiring issues wth the movement to the newer one; I'd say take your TCU with you although Kejtar had issues with a similar move a month or so ago.

In your case you'll have some wiring issues wth the movement to the newer one; I'd say take your TCU with you although Kejtar had issues with a similar move a month or so ago.[/QUOTE said:
yeah, i've also got that dash switch for the tranny shift points......i would assume that's tied to the TCU and that the TCU is tied to the main computer.

Best bet would be to find a rig with 4wd.

If you have the comfort/power switch, the TCU is NOT tied to the ECU. The TCU is stand-alone (with input from the throttle position sensor and a couple of other sensors, but no connection to the ECU).

On the new OBD-II models, I don't know if there is a connection between the engine control and the tranny control.

Back