• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Software purchase questions...

jml1911a1

NAXJA Forum User
I want DreamWeaver MX.

I can pay $400 for a copy from Macromedia.

I can pay $120 for an "Academic Version" (that isn't supposed to be used for commercial purposes, which is what I eventually want to use it for) on Ebay with NO proof of academic status required.

OR I can pay $100 at Buysusa.com for Studio MX ("Bundled/OEM" software.) that will not register for tech support.

What do I need to know here? It's pretty tempting to pay 1/4 of the cost of the software for the same thing. I just want to know what the difference is; I don't want to do something wrong/stupid...

Thanks in advance for the help!

jml1911a1 said:
I want DreamWeaver MX.

I can pay $400 for a copy from Macromedia.

I can pay $120 for an "Academic Version" (that isn't supposed to be used for commercial purposes, which is what I eventually want to use it for) on Ebay with NO proof of academic status required.

OR I can pay $100 at Buysusa.com for Studio MX ("Bundled/OEM" software.) that will not register for tech support.

What do I need to know here? It's pretty tempting to pay 1/4 of the cost of the software for the same thing. I just want to know what the difference is; I don't want to do something wrong/stupid...

Thanks in advance for the help!
What you need to ask yourself is how much do I know about computers and software. I personally wouldn't buy anything but OEM bundles. I don't need to call them and deal with their "tech support" personel. They just read right out of the manual anyways. I would go with the oem and try to get a full manual of ebay for it.

I guess what I want to know is: If I buy the OEM/Bundled software, will I be violating the EULA or some copyright law or something?

Thanks!

Jeff

jml1911a1 said:
I guess what I want to know is: If I buy the OEM/Bundled software, will I be violating the EULA or some copyright law or something?

Thanks!

Jeff
OEM is just a striped down version (missing manual and other misc stuff). It's meant for system builders. I would assume that you would be just fine with OEM.

jml1911a1 said:

Thanks!

Jeff
YOU are not violating any laws. Copyright laws are not the issue -- you're not making an illegal copy of someone else's copy of the program. You are buying a copy of the program that is not supposed to be offered for sale. I doubt that any laws are being broken, but some contractual agreements or conditions of sale are likely being violated. However, that's not your problem. That's between the software publisher and the OEM who bought the OEM versions knowing they are not supposed to be sold independent of the machines on which they are installed, and subsequently offered them for sale anyway.

It's true the academic version is not to be used for money-making purposes. As builders of interactive courseware, we weren't even allowed to use this version. And we're a not-for-profit organization. :nono:

What exactly comes in that Studio MX OEM package? Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks? If it has everything you need, then it sounds like the one to get.

I'm not leaning much toward the academic version, really. The OEM version of Studio MX includes Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, and Freehand, and from buysusa.com it's only $99.

Does anyone know of any good, reliable source of OEM software? Some of the places I see on the 'net don't seem too trustworthy...

Thanks again for the advice!

Actually there are laws being broken when you use software labeled "Not for Retail Sale" or "For Academic Use Only".
If you ever have a problem with the software, kiss your $100 goodbye as macromedia will not help you.

I have the full version, but, lucky for me, we have it at work, so I'm allowed to run a copy from our licenses at home - now that's legal IF you have access to a registered version already - cost = zippo.

If you buy the full bundle from MM, you'll be happier knowing if there is ever a problem, they'll be good for it. When a patch or update comes out, you'll be contacted and have dibs on it (some you have to pay for, some you don't).

...and, like many htings on eBay, you can't be sure of what you're getting until you try loading it up.

You may just be buying a copy someone ripped off thier own PC...and that just doesn't work right all the time.

Good luck - my vote is for the full version - it's worth the money.

Back