• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac-Bar frame mount.

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I installed an adjustable Trac-bar about 4 months ago, from Rocky-Road. Went in fine, and the front end was very solid and quiet. I am now having some popping from the tie-rod style end that mounts to the frame.
Instead of spending the money on another end, I considered a new HD frame mount that also changes the end to the same style as the axle mount (Poly).
Rocky-Road has advised me against it, warning me of front end problems and DW. I currently have zero DW. They are telling me to stay with the tie rod style end.
Anyone do this type of modification?? I would love some feedback before I spend the time and $$, only to find out its a waste. Thanks!

i have the RE heavy duty bar and it has the johny joint at the frame end, no DW. i am getting the popping noise you are talking about, but i believe its because of the mount style i have is putting too much leverage on the "frame" and im getting some steel flexing.

I have Rusty's frame mount and bar with the poly ends. I have no DW and no noises have ever come from it. Not sure which is the better system however. I did need to upgrade the bolts that came with it up 1 size to get a tight fit but that was no problem. And since I only have a 3.5" lift I had to grind some of the driver side spring pad down to clear the mount when the front wheels hit something hard. That was easy also and probably wouldn't have been necessary on a taller lift.

So it would be worth the money to upgrade?? To me it makes sense to replace that tie rod end with a joint that articulates in a manner similar to the axle.

I think so for sure. If you went through your TRE in 4 months why would you wanna do that again? Although that would be a good way to know when to change your oil. ;) As long as you get a tight fit, I see no reason why a round bushing wouldn't be better. No bindage with this setup.

I wonder if your trac bar is the same size and thread as the Rusty's one. If it is, you can buy just the bushing end and bracket from Rusty's and re-use your bar. He offers this as a package.

That was my thought too. I thought I read somewhere that the Rock-Road bar is actually a repackaged Rustys. Anyone feel free to chime in here.

I have the sky jacker track bar and got the same thing. I had someone turn the wheel back and forth while under the front and found that the binding thumping noise was because the axle mount holes the trac bar hooks too were rounded out. The holes were oblong (I think that's the right word) lol. I welded some heavy duty washers to the frame over the stock holes and no more noise or binding. It was all caused by those holes ovaling out. You could also double HD washers but it's held up for me for a couple months so far.

Doug...

i just put my RR adj track bar on, and (i know this is simple and dumb) but did you put the zerk fitting on (self taping) and grease it? i assume yours came un-assembled as mine did, and i put mine on, no problems and 4 weeks of running time...

Back