• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock XJ tow hook brackets

CherokeeGold

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the stock tow hook brackets (Mopar) from older XJ's will fit on 97 and newer XJ's?

I noticed the older set includes 3 brackets per side, while others like Rusty's and a few other aftermarket kits have only 2 brackets per side. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Don't know about the cross fit but when I put my 98's front hooks on using the OEM kit each bracket had a cross piece that attached to a cross member to improve off angle pulls but the factory brackets still get tweaked unless I pull straight back or get pulled straight forward. The rear hook though never budged no matter what the angle.
A quick way to tell might be to pull up next to the model in question and look at the bumper bolts. The 97+ bolts are under the side covers cause they go in pretty far compared to the older 96- models. If the bolts are in the same spot they should fit. A bit futher, a 96- ARB bumper will mount on a 97+ XJ with no problem except the 96- ARB gives you more wheel clearance because it does not go all the way around.
Consider a new front bumper with D ring mounts as an alternative to the front hooks. Gives you a more solid front end as well as tow points. Best price on fronts is the ridigidco or JCR off road at under $200...

Yeah, they'll fit just fine. The additional bracket in the Mopar kit is a triangular lateral support brace. There's a guy on ebay that makes/sells kits with that extra bracket, but no one else uses it, not even aftermarket winch bumper mounts.

No they won't. 96 and older bumper bolts went through the front. 97 and later go through the top. You can make it work though with some fabrication.

Back