• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP vs LP drive shaft

dbxj

NAXJA Forum User
Swapping in a HP d30 into my 2000 XJ today, just wondering I'd be ok with the stock driveshaft or should I use a drive shaft from a HP? I don't have both drive shafts in front of me, so I'm not sure if they're the same length or not. Got a little more then 4" of lift.

Thanks,
Dave

i ended up w/ a new shaft when i did that swap in my '01... otherwise you may be too long and the shaft can't contract any further when flexed.

also FWIW, my driveshaft is making contact w/ the exhaust when flexing... i've ground down the flange quite a bit but it is still hitting at times.
kinda sucks since i've got the pre-cats i can't replace the manifold w/ an aftermarket header.

:(

I believe teh HP's pinion doesn't extend as far back as the LP's does. I will be doing the same swap soon.. its getting trussed now at a machine shop. Had to lose some ground clearance as I was afraid that if i put the truss on the top it would eat somethign hanging down form the engine bay... so it is on the bottom. I have only 3.25" of lift.

MMIXJ: The precats aren't part of the exhaust manifold. You can replace the manifold with an aftermarket one, but the precats would still be there.

My guess is your driveshaft length will be fine. I'm using my original DS with a HP30 swap and I have lots of compression travel to spare. I have 6.5" of lift but I don't think the difference between you and I will be that big.

Thanks for the replies, the drive shafts have the same part number so I left the 2000 shaft in there. Damn thing is still on the lift though, realized at 10 o'clock last night that the wheel studs are too short on my 44 after a ZJ disc conversion. Yep, we were bolting on the wheels, getting ready to set her down and finish up...and the lug nuts wouldn't grab. Son of a bitch. :doh:

dbxj said:
Thanks for the replies, the drive shafts have the same part number so I left the 2000 shaft in there. Damn thing is still on the lift though, realized at 10 o'clock last night that the wheel studs are too short on my 44 after a ZJ disc conversion. Yep, we were bolting on the wheels, getting ready to set her down and finish up...and the lug nuts wouldn't grab. Son of a bitch. :doh:

The other vehicle which you have teh other dirve shaft from, did it have the same transfer case, engine and transmission? If one of those is different it you could still end up needing a different length driveshaft.

Talyn said:
MMIXJ: The precats aren't part of the exhaust manifold. You can replace the manifold with an aftermarket one, but the precats would still be there.

hmmmm... i'll have to look into that.
i took it to a local muffler shop that does a lot of 4WD work and they told me there was nothing available for it and nothing they could do about it (w/o incurring heavy fines that is by illegally removing the precats which they obviously weren't willing to do). all the aftermarket stuff that i've seen (i.e. headers) always ends at the '99 model year (even though obviously the rest of the 4.0 is the same in '00 and '01).

Back