• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission rear bearing?

tonyp

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, first post and its a good one.
I have a 96 Cherokee 2wd auto inline-6.
I think i have to replace the rear trans bearing, I can grab the drive shaft and move it around the inside of the rear of the trans, I'm not sure if the splines are worn out or if it's the rear bearing (not in and out, up and down). How hard is it to remove the rear trans nose? Looking at the nose cone, it looks like it has a crack in it, but no oil is coming out from the crack. If anyone has done this before and can hook me up with where to find parts, how hard and all that good stuff, it would be a great help.
Thanks, Tonyp

Since it's not leaking I think it's normal play in the splined assemblie. Most of us have 4x4 and a transfer case and thefore don't have your setup. But I did notice play in the yoke (I think that's the part your talking about) of my son's 89 xj in the transfer case. The seal was leaking so I replaced the seal and all is well.

JoBo

A couple of thousandths ( 0.002-3) probably isn´t gonna cause any problems. Measured between the shaft and the bushing (not a bearing). Shaft sticks out a good 4-5 inches from the bushing, 0.004-6" of play from center is gonna seem like much more at the end of the shaft.
The tail shaft housing can be removed, and the inside diameter of the bushing measured, any more than 1.5" (forget the exact spec. a few thousandths less than 1.5") it´s time for a new tail shaft housing (sold as a unit with a new bushing), unless you can find a rebuild someplace or have a tranny shop, remove and press in a new bushing for you. Imagine it is kind of an iffy replacement with the correct tools, probably really iffy in the home shop.
When the bushing gets sloppy, the seals wear out pretty regular.

Back