• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who is running long arms?

Long arms will give a nicer ride and better flex. Might as well just jump right into it since it'll be the last time you'll need to worry about control arms, unless you break something.

short arms just bolt right on,long arms well take a little fabing..under 5in shorts are fine when higher its better to go with the longs..iam right at 8 1/2-9in running adj shorts going to a long...||charles||

Not to be an ass but this has been covered so many times. Do a search and you will find a nice long evenings reading. The bottom line is that if you can afford the long arms, you won't regret it. Other than price, I haven't seen a downside. I cheated and built my own.

http://www.4x4getaways.com

BrettM said:
claytons longarms, center limiting strap, done. or if you're anal about it being the super-de-duper-best-XJ-front-suspension-ever, start searching.

or leaf springs :D

Claytons arms, center strap, outboard straps and you're good to go, or run both uppers and let the bindage limit your flex. I'd rather run one upper and straps than replace my UCA bushings every 6 months, but that's just me.

Ary

Safari Ary said:
Claytons arms, center strap, outboard straps and you're good to go, or run both uppers and let the bindage limit your flex. I'd rather run one upper and straps than replace my UCA bushings every 6 months, but that's just me.

Ary

do you run only one of the uppers? thought about doing that. any problems?

I run the clayton setup and love it.

Leaf springs setup RIGHT can work as good as coils...

I'd say leaf spring front, if I were to start from scratch, i'd def go leafs in the front next time

Hoodrich, the Clayton's kit is ideal for you since you are already at your desired height and only need the arms. Also it's the best of the 3 you mentioned, and possibly the best pre-fabbed on the market IMO.

Honestly make your own......its not that hard......I made mine in 3 days while taking care of home life....kids/wife/house and working 12hr nights

Ragin Cajun said:
Been trying to decide between adjustable upper and lower control arms or jumping to long arms. Any opinions here?

How much lift do you have?

It depends on your lift height and what kind of trails you run. Bolt on, store bought long arm kits have as many negatives as positives. Like I've said here many times, if ground clearance is an issue, think real carefully before going to long arms. Also, remember that people usually stick up for what they run, so you'll never hear someone who has LA's say that they suck.

:D

Goatman said:
How much lift do you have?

It depends on your lift height and what kind of trails you run. Bolt on, store bought long arm kits have as many negatives as positives. Like I've said here many times, if ground clearance is an issue, think real carefully before going to long arms. Also, remember that people usually stick up for what they run, so you'll never hear someone who has LA's say that they suck.

This is some good food for thought...as always :)

in my case, i am sticking up for what i believe is a good product. My '88 had short arms for nearly 5 years(RE uppers/lowers adjustable in every type) and i got tired of the rough ride. even at only 4.5" of lift.

when the Clayton kit came out i just HAD to have it cause i knew it would ride better and the loss of ground clearance was not an issue. Also, the kit looked bomb-proof. It is.

believe me, if i had put the kit on and was unsatisfied, you all would know. there is no lack of LA discussion on here. hasta

There are many different LA designs out on the market. Some are better than others. Some of the best designs are not on the market and are fabbed at home.

anybody purchased and installed Clayton's kit and not liked it so much they went back to short arms? please tell us your story... :lecture:

OH yea...chicks dig LONG arms. :party: :party: :party:

jjvande said:
This is some good food for thought...as always :)

in my case, i am sticking up for what i believe is a good product. My '88 had short arms for nearly 5 years(RE uppers/lowers adjustable in every type) and i got tired of the rough ride. even at only 4.5" of lift.

when the Clayton kit came out i just HAD to have it cause i knew it would ride better and the loss of ground clearance was not an issue. Also, the kit looked bomb-proof. It is.

believe me, if i had put the kit on and was unsatisfied, you all would know. there is no lack of LA discussion on here. hasta

There are many different LA designs out on the market. Some are better than others. Some of the best designs are not on the market and are fabbed at home.

anybody purchased and installed Clayton's kit and not liked it so much they went back to short arms? please tell us your story... :lecture:

OH yea...chicks dig LONG arms. :party: :party: :party:
can you have any more of a party than long arms?

Goatman said:
Also, remember that people usually stick up for what they run, so you'll never hear someone who has LA's say that they suck.

I'll be honest. So far long arms have been nothing but a headache offroad. They flex way to easily(not necessarily more or less, but with less effort) meaning I have to put limiting straps on to keep from popping brakelines and damaging my shocks, and I've had to add a center limiting strap to keep them from unloading on hillclimb. They also way outflex the rear leafs even with stiff 4.5" ZJ coils and stiff bilstein 5100s. All in all I like the way my short arms worked better.

On road there is no comparison, long arms win for ride and comfort.

There's my .02

Back