• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap Question

BoogieDown

NAXJA Forum User
Given an '88 XJ, what are engine swap options? I'm considering swapping out the OEM 4.0L for another engine (jeep, ford, chevy, mopar) anything that would fit with minimal modifications. I'm looking for a decent daily commuter, with enough power to pull my dirt bike trailer on the weekends

Big questions are what do you want to spend, are you doing it yourself and do you have the time? With that said, I swapped in a 93 LT1 and 700r4 into my 90. While i have been happy with it and wouldn't trade it for anything it was a lot of work. Right now I am swapping the LT1 for an LS1 from a 99 camaro. SO either I am crazy or it was worth it. If you want some info hit me with a PM or email. A stroked 4.0 is a nice option too, but I am kinda partial to the swap. EIther way, even with doing it all yourself It would be next to impossible to do it for under 3,000. But with the prices of new cars and the like and how crazy people are getting with mods and custome stuff, I guess that is not outrageous.
Dustin

I guess I was leaning toward stroked or modified 4.0. I kind of want a H.O. version. Who are the people to get with as far as Jeep engines. Is it possible to buy a stroker or modified crate version?

BoogieDown said:
I guess I was leaning toward stroked or modified 4.0. I kind of want a H.O. version. Who are the people to get with as far as Jeep engines. Is it possible to buy a stroker or modified crate version?
There are two or three companies who will sell you a pre-built stroker based on the 4.0L. The stroker can be 4.5L, 4.6L or 4.7L depending on how much over-bore you go with and if you're willing to pay extra for offset ground rods.

Start with HESCO -- good reputation, but a bit pricey. Someone is sure to suggest Clifford Performance and Research, but their reputation has been in a tailspin in recent years (since Jack Clifford died). I think a company called Golen Engineering sells strokers. And there are probably a couple of others. See if you can find a link to the "Strokers" discussion group on Yahoo. That's the place for stroker info -- along with Dr. Dyno on the NAXJA Street & Performance forum.

Back