• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

guages not working

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
Lately none of the guages have been working when I first start up my Jeep and sometimes on the highway the tack will bounce and the volt meter just drop and then the air bag light comes on. This doesnt seem normal to me any ideas?? I temporarily have the after cat o2 sensor unplugged could this be causing the problem??? it is for a 98 XJ AW4. thanks in advance

try putting the o2 sensor back in and find out. why is the o2 sensor unplugged?
other than that, i would check the ground connections.

Hmmm - it's an electronic dash... so it could be any number of things -- with the after-cat o2 down there, you may wanna ensure that you'er not grounding-out on something and pulling the ECU down with it! (though I'd suspect if you were you'd see the engine having issues)...

yeah as I was driving home a possible Idea struck me, I unplugged it but didn't tape it off this time and it has been really wet and rainy out and i think maybe it was getting wet and grouding out or something so I just plugged it back in. I unplug edt because since I hollowed out the cat I am good for about a month without the check engine light coming on, and I have found that if I unplug the sensor and let it run through 5 hot cold cycles with it unplugged then it will forget that the sensor wasn't reading anything and just think that I have a bad connecetion so then I would plug it back in and after 5 more hot to cold cycles the light would go off for another month. If my dash still acts all messed up then I guess I am gonna have to start diggin into dash stuff which doesn't sound too much fun.

Normal for a 97+, there is a fix for it, the dealer will cut the connectors off the wiring harness and install new connectors. If it's out of warranty then you pay for it. The other method is to pull the instrument cluster, unplug the connectors and ever so gently 'tweak' the pins so they hold the connectors better. Oh, clean the pins first, add some dielectric grease and then plug them back in again. That should fix it, it did on my 98. I also had a loose box down near the firewall by your left foot, grey colored where the main harness comes in. The center bolt that holds it together on mine was not screwed in. Fixed that too.

Back