• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many fuel pump styles are available?

STEELFISH

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 XJ and am fairly certain the fuel pump is out it is in a 6cyl 4.0, and I have a 96 parts XJ and the whole system is different?? whats the deal>
as much as I am XJ crazy I am fairly dissapointed in Jeeps engineering, I guess it goes back to when they were competing w/FOrd, and their better Ideas............where is the best place to buy a fuel pump............ :variety:

wow you have a lot in that post. What are you saying?
I believe in 96 they redegined the engine, so of course things would be slighlty different. I know in 97 they did everything else, but a year earlier didnt they do something to the engine?
You can go to the dealership, oem stuff is usually the best, if you dont want to goto a dealership, make sure you at least get name brand parts.
With something that is vital to the engine, its probably best to go with brand new out of the box parts, as oppesed to getting used stuff that you really arent sure of the condition.

www.RockAuto.com price ranges from $90 to $146 depending on brand, make sure you change strainer too, while your under there might as well change filter too. Part numbers show the same for years 95/96....could one of the pumps you have be an aftermarket part.

Last edited:
not sure both appear to be factory, the 96 has a single fuel line to the pump, my 95 has 2 lines w/ only one going through the filter....at the fuel rail the 96 has only 1 line, where as the 95 has 2....anyways ended up not being the fuel pump, it was where i just replaced the exhaust manifold, and the guys helping me didn't route the O2 sensor wire right, and left it laying on the manifold....thanks guys...good thing it didnt' cost anything except parts.....Jeremy :spin1:

From what I understand and have read the main difference is that the older models had a fuel return line to pump unused fuel back to the tank. The newer ones only have one line because the return is actually done inside the pump. This threw me for a while because I was used to two lines on FI systems but could never seem to find mine on my 98XJ or either of the TJ's. Finally read the FSM manuals :read: and it was stated in there on both the XJ and TJ's.

Back