• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

While climbing hills...(not tech)

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure what section this question should be in but i'm gonna ask here....2 of the guys i go wheeling w/ own newer wranglers...a 98 and a 2000, the 2000 has a 2" coil spacer and a 32" BFG MT and the other one is stock w/ a 31" AT...the other day we found a sweet hill...just dirt and a few rocks on the way up it...nothing major..but the hill was crazy steep. The 00 w/ the 32's made it up on its first try using 4lo...spun at the top a little....the 98 got stock half way and on the second try made it up also spinning at the top...i was at the top watching these two guys do it b/c i left my 93xj at home b/c i'm selling it and didnt want to break anything...but anyways..these guys literally ripped up this hill to make it up....my question is, my xj w/ a 3" lift and 31" MT...would i make it too?or would the longer wheel base hinder my ability and my other question is it sounded like they were redlining the cr*p out of thier motors in 4lo....on a hill as steep as this one...is it better to power up the hill like that as fast as you can or is it better to take ur time and try it more than once if need be but keep the speed and rpms kinda to a crawl?

let the engine do it, crawl

you tear up the engine, trail, and make your control a ton less when you fly up hills and such...

try it slow, then adapt if you dont make it the first time.
4Lo is the wepon of choice here, 1st gear in 5 spd, 1/2 in auto...

go slow.

if your trying to sell it, i wouldnt wheel it anymore... i loose or break parts every time i wheel. sometimes i just push parts that were on their way out over the top, and then i end up replacing a TPS or a vehicle speed sensor...

fun times
-XJ_Ranger

always use 4 lo to climb more stable and less damage, air your tires down a little, when you feel tires getting ready to spin, turn wheel from side to side this is easier than tearing up the hill.

Also look at the breakover angle at the top. If those TJ's were hanging in the center at the top you could have an interesting time making that last 5 feet... low and slow is the way to go...

Back