• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift time, help a brotha out with info

Ivan Aby

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, have the new truck ('99, 50,000 miles) to ground zero and motor mods done. Doing upgraded brakes next week and then lift. I want to do it right the first time instead of going back time and time again to fix crap.

Here is the plan:

Daily driver, highway speeds frequently. Also do a bunch of multi-day "exploring" and some "just wheeling", so I want something with manners and it doesn't need to have exaggerated lift. I'll do armor and bumpers after the lift, so this is just lift related (unless you want to sell me some armor for cheap ;)).

RE 3.5", JKS disco, extended brakelines, poly bushings on everything, greasable shackles, upgraded (bigger) sway bar, SYE and Woods, steering brace and Rancho 9000 shocks (anyone try the air kit? It is free with purchase this month...should I get it?)

I've heard rumors of rear swaybar diso's by Skyjacker and something about a leveling spacer for the front? What about longer shackles?

Anything else I am missing for this stage?

I wouldn't worry about poly bushings or the need for a larger swaybar and can the rear one, there's no need for it. With 3.5 inches of lift you'll most likely need to do some trimming of the flares. Have fun!

Ivan Aby said:
Here is the plan:
Daily driver, highway speeds frequently. Also do a bunch of multi-day "exploring" and some "just wheeling", so I want something with manners and it doesn't need to have exaggerated lift. I'll do armor and bumpers after the lift, so this is just lift related (unless you want to sell me some armor for cheap ;)).
RE 3.5", JKS disco, extended brakelines, poly bushings on everything, greasable shackles, upgraded (bigger) sway bar, SYE and Woods, steering brace and Rancho 9000 shocks (anyone try the air kit? It is free with purchase this month...should I get it?)
I've heard rumors of rear swaybar diso's by Skyjacker and something about a leveling spacer for the front? What about longer shackles?
Anything else I am missing for this stage?
Use YJ brakelines for extended ones, they are cheap. Scrap the poly bushings, and upgraded swaybar (not necessary), you might not need the steering brace right away, but its a good idea for the long run, and don't bother with the SYE, 3.5" is not enough lift to really need it, unless you have vibes after the lift. Remove your rear swaybar entirely, don't bother with disconnects - you will get a bit more body roll around corners, but its negligible. You won't know if you need a leveling spacer until you see how level the kit sits after installation and a few thousand miles. Longer shackles probably won't be necessary either unless your rear end sags, and even then, adding another leaf to the rear packs provides a better boost than shackles, which will change your pinion angle. Depending on what kind of trails you hit, you might want to invest in skids sooner rather than later. You can usually get some custom built or do them yourself on the cheap.
Good luck, eh?
Buck :canada:

poly bushings make ride rough,
rear swaybar is useless, especialy with stiffer aftermarket suspention
i personaly would get armor before i got anything else... when your buddy calls you and says "dude lets go wheelin' " and yuo have had your car for 2 weeks and havent gotten to the lift and all that, your still going to go, but w/o armor kill parts of the car. you'll regret not being able to fill oyur gastank more thant 3/4 of the way later, or when your oil pan gets a hole in it, and your engine overheats...
im pro armor, pro tow points, and pro fun (pro choice too but thats annother thing)

cheap armor saves expensive parts later...

XJ_ranger said:
poly bushings make ride rough,
rear swaybar is useless, especialy with stiffer aftermarket suspention
i personaly would get armor before i got anything else... when your buddy calls you and says "dude lets go wheelin' " and yuo have had your car for 2 weeks and havent gotten to the lift and all that, your still going to go, but w/o armor kill parts of the car. you'll regret not being able to fill oyur gastank more thant 3/4 of the way later, or when your oil pan gets a hole in it, and your engine overheats...
im pro armor, pro tow points, and pro fun (pro choice too but thats annother thing)

cheap armor saves expensive parts later...
ditto.
Buck :canada:

scottsxj said:
whys he going to need to trim the fenders/ flares, he didnt say what size tires he was going with.

I said "most likely."

I'm assuming he has or plans to go with a tire that's larger than stock. Even 31's can rub at that lift height. Just trying to give him a heads-up. :)

Keep the SYE, get a good adjustable trackbar, like JKS, not those cheap low end models like the cheaper RE 1600, Rusty's low end model, etc, and a 3/4" spacer will help level the front if you get the 3.5" kit with full leaf packs. That kit will start out at about 5". Plenty of room for 33's, just need to trim and bumpstop. As others have said, loose the poly and heavy swaybars (keep the stock front/loose the rear entirely). Get the JKS discos for the front. I am not a fan of any of the Rancho shocks, but that's me. I personally would get the Old Man Emu Long Travels for the RE 3.5" kit. Check out the tech articles on my site for properly adjusting bumpstops and help with fender trimming.

Alright, you bastiges, you've gone and done it.

I've ordered the 4.5" RE and already have the Goodyear 16x31x10.50 MTR's mounted on rims and in the garage.

Next will be the SYE, brake lines, disco's for the front and so on. I am amazed that the rear isn't needed with the roll I already get, but I'll take your word for it.

I noticed a few other suggestions with regard to the front suspension and I will take those to heart, as well as the steering box upgrade.

I also noticed a bunch of harshing on the poly bushings. Really? My bros, who all run CJ/YJ/TJ's all run the bushings for longevity, is this wrong? Should I stick with the rubber ones?

Most of my driving is highway (LA, the busiest in the nation), still not a heavier sway bar?

Armor is coming, lift is first.

BTW, my buddy did call and say, "let's test out my XYZ today". We did and amazing what a stock Cherokee can do. I did everything but the Black Diamond trails... I am a very experienced driver and spotter but was amazed by the lack of limitations of a stocker Cherokee. I lifted a few wheels, left a mark or two from the transfer mount but all in all, did very well.

Viva la XJ.

Ivan where abouts in socal are you? I know a PaP with stock t-case and gas tank skids?

Back