• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm lengths?

kmagnuss_2000

NAXJA Forum User
well, i've been trying to get my 99 auto to sit right with about 6" of lift in front and 5" in back. I started out with the LCA's at 16 3/4". Well that makes the tires sit pretty good in the wheel wells, maybe a hair forward. Then I did the UCA's, and I figured they would be about 15.75" according to most tables. Well that's not even close. I had to make them 16.75" to get the pinion to line up with the driveshaft. Am I retarded and doing this wrong, or does that sound right to anybody?

-Keith

The front is a little trickier than the rear. You basically want to find the happy medium of lining up the driveshaft while keeping the caster in spec. Your new UCA measurement sounds pretty far off. You need to get an alignment and see where your caster is setting. Between 5-7* is good, but with 6" of lift and no drop brackets, it will be tough. Usually, by following those charts, your caster will be a little less than 5*, but with your current setting, I would bet it is well over. If you have major bumpsteer or even death wobble, your UCA length is more than likely the culprit.

Back