• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SATX area open (community) project

trintek

NAXJA Forum User
I have been working on a conversion project for a little while.. but am running low on funds, low on skills (ie: i suck at fabricating), and have no clue when it comes to modifying the suspensiopn or frame on a budget.. I have done a decent job imho of chopping it, and will have some temporary braces in place soon.

the current state of the project can always be seen here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34906

here's a question, who would be interested in volunteering time, tools, parts, etc to the project? in return, you could borrow it anytime you are in san antonio (and within a year or two) terlingua and big bend area. added bonus, once i have the house built in terlingua, you will be welcome to stay there for free if ya need a place.

here's a list of current problems and planned changes... they will be fixed even if no one feels like volunteering.

problems:
1) 4wd isnt engaging
2) carburetor is shot
3) major driver's side floor pan rust

--look for more in updates

solutions:
1) need a new carb, was thinking of a rebuilt holley II, about 180 through parts america (i think)
2) want to switch to a cable 4wd engage, and try to cut out as much of the vacuum system as possible
3) am planning on using some of the metal chopped from the roof to replace or strengthen the driver's side floor pan.

mods:
1) need to heavily reinforce the unibody, and would really like to start converting to a rail/buggy style
2) lifts, even budget ones would be good, am running 30.5 i believe, and they rub a little when turning, its most likely due to me replacing the blown front shocks with really bad budget shocks
3) would like to cut the doors or remove them and replace them with some braces, sheet metal, and netting
4) complete rewiring.. would like to cut the wiring harness down to the bare minimum needed to start and run the vehicle, then build it back up to street legal.

i am open to any suggestions, and would appreciate any help... unfortunately i am beyond strapped for cash, and have probably bitten off more than i can chew on this vehicle...

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

check this out for a cheap lift... that acutaly flexes...

i live in Nebraska or California, (depending what semester it is) and have limited tools and such, but can offer you the best of luck. keep posting here and people will either tell you that you have just majorly screwed up, they liked it, or they would have done something different.

fun times

i wish i could do sometihng cool like that... maybe ill find an xj that is a rust bucket out here that i can drive away with... that'd be fun...

good call on the lift, my bro just installed some helper springs that made a world of difference, but his suspension looks to be a little more sagging than mine.. am planning on doing a junkyard run within the next week or two, so, will be keeping an eye out for useable materials :) thanks for the link

Back