• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another gear recommendation...

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm running 31s and 3.73s and FINALLY getting rid of the D35 with ARB and putting in a D44 with an Eaton E-locker. Since it's a daily driver and I don't intend to go bigger than the 31s (yeah right..) should I stay with the 3.73s or go to 4.10s? Since the D44 case break is at 3.73/3.92 I have to make that decision now since I don't want to change my mind and have to toss another $600+ out for a new diff.

Originally it had 3.07s (4.0 w/AX15) and the 3.73 with 31s is about 10% lower than the stock gearing. I like it now, pulls good down low and doesn't turn too many RPMs on the highway (which it sees a lot of).

Suggestions, thoughts?

BrettM said:
just do the 4.10s, you won't regret it, and when you move up to 33s/35s you'll still be able to use the same locker

Yep. I run 4:11's 5 speed w/ 32x11.5 & it works out good, but could use a little lower, so 31's & 4:11 would be real nice. Why buy a locker 2x's :dunno:

if the axle you bought comes with the locker, you will need a new one. the lockers are carrier specific...

good stuff

congrats on the d44

even if you got the 3.73 locker and wanted to regear later, you can get thick gears that will let you use the same carrier with 4.56, 4.88, etc. plus thick gears are a little stronger (basically a non-issue) and only a little more money.

Get 4.10s all the way! I got 4.10s in mine with 32s and its a blast to drive on road. Racing off the line is great. I tend to go faster than I should on the interstate and at 75mph I am around 2700-2800rpm or so. At 80 my tack is just under 3000rpm. Anything faster and I wish I had my old 3.73s but that gets into ludicrus speed in a lifted Jeep:D If I behave and cruse at 65 or 70mph, The tack is right at 2500rpm and it gets about 18mpg. Offroad, I wish I had lower gears but overall I am happy with the 4.10s and would do them again for a 31-32" tire.

AARON

get the 4.10's now so that you don't have to pay twice for gear installation. youll be perfectly happy with 4.10's and 31"s.
and a D44 thick 4.10 gearset is rather pricey. plus the cost of setting up the gears.

Thanks everyone. I was kinda expecting that recommendation being go 4.10.

But...I'm probably going to go for the 3.73s for now. I didn't know that the there were thick gears that would work if I ever decide to go 4.10 on the smaller carrier. Since the front is already 3.73 and I can do the set up my self it seems like doing that makes sense.

Back