• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulled over for the first time in the XJ last night

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
So I hooked up some HELLA 8 in round driving lights on my roller fairleed and followed the recommended 25 feet from a wall, 1.35 inches lower than the center of the mounted light and that is where the hot spot of the light should be. So I did it. Started driving around and damn I could see well until I got the spot light from a cop who did a Dukes of Hazzard turn and turned on the flashers. So I out my hands on the steering wheel and wait for him to walk up. He looks in and says, "you know why I stopped you?" and I say becasue my lights are really really great! with a big old grin. After he said not to turn them on in town, he wanted to know about places to wheel around here. Cool gotta love 4X4ing cops:)

"Driving" lights should be considered high beams and used only on open highways with no approaching traffic. Most states require that they be wired so that they go off automatically when you dip to low beams.

Consider yourself lucky indeed. We don't have any of those kind of LEOs around here :(

I can't say I've ever been as fortunate when it has come to Police officers pulling me over. It, on average, turns out to be a two ticket minimum.

gotta semi-related question. i bought a used roof rack last weekend and it had 4 aux lights on it but they didn't have covers. i was wondering if anyone knew if it was legal to have them mounted up there w/out covers?

FitchVA said:
gotta semi-related question. i bought a used roof rack last weekend and it had 4 aux lights on it but they didn't have covers. i was wondering if anyone knew if it was legal to have them mounted up there w/out covers?

In VA, you are required to have the covers on aux. lights. At least that's the way it was when I lived there.

The lights on your rack need to be covered.Even the factory roof lights on the liberty roof have to be covered.
Wayne

Sucks for you guys. Texas doesn't really have any solid aux. light laws. I got pulled over for driving with my PIAA's on, and the cop had to call the station to find out what the laws were exactly because he didn't even know. Didn't get a ticket because the cops in texas rock.

Osprey413 said:
Sucks for you guys. Texas doesn't really have any solid aux. light laws. I got pulled over for driving with my PIAA's on, and the cop had to call the station to find out what the laws were exactly because he didn't even know. Didn't get a ticket because the cops in texas rock.
A whole new approach to police work:

"Hold on there, son. I think you look like you might be breakin' some kind of law there, so you just sit tight while I call the station and ask if there's anything I can write you up for."

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy when you see those patrol cars with "To serve and protect" on the fenders.

Little hint here, the cops where I am from wont get hired if they have an IQ above 100. That's a fact, I have inside sources (I know who does the hiring for the Tyler PD and they have told me this for a fact). A few weeks ago I was driving around at about 2AM on a thursday morning and I saw a guy who got pulled over by nine cops for speeding. The cops dont have anything better to do in Tyler.

Chris L said:
In VA, you are required to have the covers on aux. lights. At least that's the way it was when I lived there.
As far as VA goes, a general rule of thumb is, if you modify it, its illegal- va's laws suck as far as modded vehicles goes, if a cop is really in a bad mood, he'll find somthing to give you a ticket for, heck even a non-stock exhaust is "technically" illegal!- and yup I got a ticket for a simple cat-back system

I've been pulled over several times when the cop didn't even tell me why he pulled me over and then when I ask the studder and then make something up, my favorite one was "you don't have a front liscence plate." I told him that I was pretty sure I did and pointed to it in my windsheild. "Oh" then he handed me my registration and told me to drive safe. I love it when I get pulled over and surrounded by six or seven cops because of a broken tail light. :rolleyes:

Osprey413 said:
Little hint here, the cops where I am from wont get hired if they have an IQ above 100. That's a fact, I have inside sources (I know who does the hiring for the Tyler PD and they have told me this for a fact). A few weeks ago I was driving around at about 2AM on a thursday morning and I saw a guy who got pulled over by nine cops for speeding. The cops dont have anything better to do in Tyler.
I've been to Tyler, what were 9 cops doing on duty at 2AM? If I were a Tyler taxpayer I'd compain that funds are being wasted anytime more than 4 are on duty that early in the morning.

On any given Friday night in my town, no more than 1 officer is on duty, maybe 2 on holidays. Taxpayers here don't get pulled over unless they are REALLY endangering lives. The tickets are saved for out-of-towners just passing through.

Okie Terry said:
On any given Friday night in my town, no more than 1 officer is on duty, maybe 2 on holidays. Taxpayers here don't get pulled over unless they are REALLY endangering lives. The tickets are saved for out-of-towners just passing through.
that's the way it is in my town, if you live in town you have to be going something stupid to get a ticket. when i was younger i would get pulled over they would fuss at me "i don't want to have to tell your momma that you were killed going to fast", good law enforcement in those days.

I know Ohio doesn't have any real solid laws for modified vehicles. I've been flashed before by cops because of my fog lights, never pulled over though. You can pretty much get away with anything here, although they do have a law for the height of your vehicle and that depends on the weight of it. But even then, I have never found anything specific on measurments. I think it just depends on the cop if you get pulled over and his mood at the time. I do know that Ohio has more highway patrol per sq. mile than any other state too, thought I would share that info with you all.

As long as you aren't drunk and/or waving a gun around at people they don't care around here. The town I work in used to ticket ricers for what ever they could, but I haven't seen that in a while. They don't even seem to get too exited about anything much anymore.

I figure that cops in Ohio were absolute Nazi Stormtroopers and that's why you all drive like psychos when you hit the Indiana state line!!!! :laugh2:

bshaw said:
I know Ohio doesn't have any real solid laws for modified vehicles. I've been flashed before by cops because of my fog lights, never pulled over though. You can pretty much get away with anything here, although they do have a law for the height of your vehicle and that depends on the weight of it. But even then, I have never found anything specific on measurments. I think it just depends on the cop if you get pulled over and his mood at the time. I do know that Ohio has more highway patrol per sq. mile than any other state too, thought I would share that info with you all.

crystalship1 said:
I figure that cops in Ohio were absolute Nazi Stormtroopers and that's why you all drive like psychos when you hit the Indiana state line!!!! :laugh2:
LOL. I will have to admit, IN has a lot less cops patroling! I went on a trip to WI here in Aug. and think I saw 1 cop on the way through and 1 cop on the way back through. Now for the rush hour traffic in Indianapolis :scared: . Lets just say I thought Columbus was bad! ;)

Last edited:
The reason there are 9 cops at 2AM on a thursday is because the Tyler Police Department is in competition with the Smith County Sheriff's Department. Our Sheriff (who is an angry short man) likes to sell government property so he can buy more toys for the department. To give you an idea, Smith county only has about 200,000 people in it but the Sheriff's department has two tanks, two jetski's, a bass boat, fully outfitted off-road bronco's, more cars than I can count, and a fully trained and equiped SWAT team (complete with automatic weapons, grenade launchers, etc.). In case you are wondering, the tank's are used military APC's (named Bubba 1 and Bubba 2), the Jetski's are fitted with rovolving blue lights, a siren, and a shotgun holder on the side, and the bass boat has a blue light, siren, troling motor, fish finder, two mercury engines, and 1 M60 machine gun. I don't think we have to worry about terrorists down here.

Back