• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deathwobble

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright well i recently put 2" spacer on top of my 6" coils, now my deathwobble is horrible. Even before when I had the 6" w/o spacers. Since then I have installed a brand new RE tie rod, RE Heavy Duty Adj trackbar, and new energy control arm bushings thinking it will solve my death wobble. But no, still there, tomorrow I am thinkin bout taking the spacers out to see if it cures my problem what do yall think? Will it?

BIG98XJ said:
Yeh the alignment is all good!:D

What are the alignment specs?

If the alignment is good, it's most likely caused by wheel balance, but worn ball joints can make the balance problem worse. Check ball joints and wheel balance.

my sway bar links were hitting my spring...... caused the death wobble, i made my own brackets to move the whole swaybar closer to the front of the jeep, fixed the problem.

jimmy forbes said:
my sway bar links were hitting my spring...... caused the death wobble, i made my own brackets to move the whole swaybar closer to the front of the jeep, fixed the problem.

Do you really know what DW is? It's not a simple shimmy or pull on your steering wheel when you hit a bump. It's a violent shaking of your whole front suspension. You literatly think your going to die or at least get into a nasty accident. The only way you get it to stop is by slowing down and stopping, I had to use the ebrake because the front tires were bouncing so much.

I seriously doubt that the swaybar link rubbing on the spring caused DW, maybe a shimmy or unwanted noise, but not DW.

I had the same situation but it would always happen when I went over railroad tracks or hit a bump at about 55mph. My friend had the same thing as well. We just changed the front steering stabilizer shock and it solved our problem, and I only had a 4.5" lift with no spacers.

Do you really know what DW is?
yes i do i replaced a long list of things before i messed with my sway bar. it sound weird but that fixed it, i have bad chips in the paint on my springs where the diconnects were hitting, after i moved it the problem has never come back, i have had 3,5,7 now inches of lift

I had DW at 5" of lift and fixed it with changing the caster angle to about 1 degree. Completely opposite of what everyone told me. Most people say get to up to 7-9 degrees. When I went up to 8" of lift I got DW again until I got the RE drop brackets and that solved everything. So all of my DW that time came from my control arms. I have heard it being cause by alignment, bad hub bearings, ball joints, trac-bars, rod-ends, wheel balance, bad shocks, etc. A buddy of mine had dw with just 4" and it was from his ball-joints. There are a ton of reasons why it can start. A good heavy duty steering stabilizer can be a huge help but is only a band-aid. My joints on my control arms were going bad and my bushing in my trac-bar was all chewed up awhile back (I didn't realize how bad everything was until I took it all off a couple months ago) and I started to get dw again. I got a dual steering stabilizer kit and no more DW. I have since gone to a long-arm and high-steer with flat-top knuckles and have no dw and am not even using a steering stab. The angles of the control arms are great and the flat-top knuckles did a wonder on my steering. It's a costly upgrade though. Did they check your caster angle when you got your alignment done? Adjust your LCAs (or put in or take out shims behind fixed LCAs) to play with your caster and see if that makes any difference. At that height I strongly suggest control arm drop brackets or long-arms. My 2 cents.

Back