• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ search question again....

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry to keep bringing this search up...but i looked at a 99 classic today...87k...no rust...bone dry underneath(no leaks) new tires(not like it matters i'm puttin 31" muds on it) good brakes, overhead console, however there was a diff. sound when i accelerate hard...not like there was no oil but like a very VERY soft tick...the average driver wouldnt notice it. He was only asking 6800...what do you guys think this time? Comes w/ a 2mnth 3k warranty also...do I-6's ever have a sound like what i'm describing...oh and hte other thing is the rear window and drivers side window had scratches...i thought maybe it had been in the woods but they werent like sticks scratching as u drive by b/c they were in a circular pattern...also has 2 little holes in the front bumber from fog lights...MUCH MUCH nicer than the blue one from yesterday. Thanks for any info.

Well in my opinion it definently sounds better than that other choice you told us about. The tick? I don't know about that one, where did it sound like it was coming from?

Well, being that there was noooo ticking or piston slap or anything at an idle i couldnt really pinpoint it....the only time i heard it was under acceleration...and it wasnt really like a tick that popped up between a certain rpm band...it was more like a "the higher my rpms got the louder the noise got" so i'm thinking that maybe its just the normal sound of a newer 4.0...i'm going to drive my g/f's right now (98) to see if i can resemble the same type of sound. Thanks for the response.

It could be a cracked exhaust manifold. But if that was the case then you should be able to smell exhaust inside the engine compartment, not to mention that it would tick while idling. Did you rev the engine any while it was stationary? If so and there was no tick then that rules out an engine problem. It could be the differential, transmition, or transfer case. Then again, it could be some random tick that the Jeep has. I know my Jeep rattles and ticks when I accelerate just because some of my dash trim isn't secured properly.
It really could be a million things. Personally it sounds like a pretty good deal.
Don't worry about the front bumper, they don't have any integraty to begin with. If you really wanted you could replace it with a new one for like $50.

If you feel so inclined, go back and drive it again. Rev the engine while it is sitting still and see if it makes the ticking noice. If it doesn't then drive it and try and pinpoint the area where the sound is coming from. Then we can really start to help you.

I'll be driving it again tomorrow w/ cash in my pocket so unless it sounds worse tomorrow for the second time and i'm going to be listening for it harder then i'll back down but hopefully i'll have a new jeep to lift...wish me luck and thanks for all the help guys.

Back