• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle control arm bushings d 30

MATTVW65

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone replaced the axle end, rubber control arm bushings? How tough were they to remove and install? ii want to re place them

You can buy new control arms from quadratec.com and most likely parts stores. On line they want $20 for lower control arms, and $13 for upper control arms, these are new control arms with the bushings installed.

I took my 88 XJ to the neighborhood garage to do the work since I was installing grand cherokee LCAs as written up on madxj.com to solve a tire rub problem.

If you stay with the stock arms the hardest parts is the bushing in the axle for the UCA. The mechanic told me he used a torch to burn out the old bushing then he used a big socket to pound in the new one. My factory service manual shows a special tool to press out and in that axle mounted bushing. IF I did this job in the I WILL buy the tool special tool.

Once you change the bushings you will need to have an alignment done.

My recommendation is to complete the front end rebuild by installing new sway bar bushings and end links. Depending on the year you can buy a renewal kit for the end link or you can buy new end link assemblies.

I do recommend everyone install a steering box brace. Rusty and Mountain Offroad (MORE) both sell them. I purchased both but used the MORE since it did not interfere with my trans aux cooler. With the brace installed my steering wheel movement because of pot holes and rairoad crossings was 95% eliminated.

HTH

Matt
If you have access to a compressor get a air chisel/hammer (even
a cheap one) and hammer/chisel them out, the drivers side is the
PITA side. The torch will work also. Put the new bushings in the
freezer the night before to assist with the installation. Auto Zone
"leases" tools out so you might be able to get a press/puller from
them, I tried to make one & spent way too much time only to break it.
Good Luck !!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Are you guys talking about the control arm bushings on the CA's or the bushings on the D30 axle for the UCA's?

I need to remove and replace the ones on the axle.

GreedyXJ,

On the XJ the lower control arm (LCA) has 2 bushings pressed into it. To install the LCA you remove the bolts at the chassis and axle ends of the LCA. Once the bolts are removed you just R&R the LCA. You can press in new bushings to your LCA or you can buy new assemblies with bushings installed. If you check the price is not much different and will save you some time.

The upper control arm (UCA) has only one bushing pressed into the the UCA. The other bushings is pressed into the fitting on the Dana 30. It is this axle bushing which is the pain to change.

GreedyXJ said:
Are you guys talking about the control arm bushings on the CA's or the bushings on the D30 axle for the UCA's?

I need to remove and replace the ones on the axle.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the posts....lol. The way we removed the bushings from the axle was to heat them using a torch while pulling on them using a chain and bolt. The burns to my leg weren't too bad. :)

Another way is to use a very long bar and hammer them out, but be sure to hit them squarely. Tip: put the new bushings in the freezer the night before installation. It makes installation easier.

Tom

Any more info on the special tool? I need to replace the axle end UCA bushings.

Thanks!

-P

martin said:
You can buy new control arms from quadratec.com and most likely parts stores. On line they want $20 for lower control arms, and $13 for upper control arms, these are new control arms with the bushings installed.

I took my 88 XJ to the neighborhood garage to do the work since I was installing grand cherokee LCAs as written up on madxj.com to solve a tire rub problem.

If you stay with the stock arms the hardest parts is the bushing in the axle for the UCA. The mechanic told me he used a torch to burn out the old bushing then he used a big socket to pound in the new one. My factory service manual shows a special tool to press out and in that axle mounted bushing. IF I did this job in the I WILL buy the tool special tool.

Once you change the bushings you will need to have an alignment done.

My recommendation is to complete the front end rebuild by installing new sway bar bushings and end links. Depending on the year you can buy a renewal kit for the end link or you can buy new end link assemblies.

I do recommend everyone install a steering box brace. Rusty and Mountain Offroad (MORE) both sell them. I purchased both but used the MORE since it did not interfere with my trans aux cooler. With the brace installed my steering wheel movement because of pot holes and rairoad crossings was 95% eliminated.

HTH

Back