• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ghost is gettin' new meats!

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Just ordered my new tires today! 33 x 12.50 x 15 Cooper Discoverer STT I ran a smaller version on my TJ when I had it. I really like these tires.

discovererSTT.jpg

:D

Opps I got so excited I forgot to add the question...... With 5.5" up front I think I'll need some trimming but the rear is another story. I have 4.5" back there. I want to put a 2" block in the rear temperarly until I can get the $$ for 4.5" spring pack. I know blocks are a no no. But I'm runnign the 2.5L not the 4.0L. So my thinking is that I should not have too much trouble with spring wrap. Any thoughts guys? And should I look into a angled block? I do not have any vibes at any speed right now but worrie what 2" might do!

I guess you are already running a AAL and shackle.
If you have a short AAL I've got a long that will need a home hopefully by this weekend. If you want it just PM me! I've never used blocks so I can't comment. But, i figure if your not driving like a madman you should be alright. Congrats on the new tires!!!! Rensing

Got a Rusty's AAL from someone here. 3" er!

Just a question, what ever happened to the compression problem you had in the 2.5?

Its still there. But the Resore I put in seems to have helped a little temperarly. She has trouble in 4th on the highway and 5th is non existant. I am planning a regear soon. I can get axles from the u-pull it for $65 per. That would put me in 4.10 ( believe I saw a set the last time I was there) for about $140! I would like to go to either 4.56 or 4.88! But funds are tight right now. Got a line on a newer engine but just cannot do it right now. I am also considering doing a re-ring kit. I can get them locally for about $150.00! Right now its drive it till she dies. Afriend has a 91 yj that he has offered me first dibs on but I doubt I'll be that brave. Right now I'm in my indesisive mode! The new tires are needed the one on there now are about bald. Plus my dad owns a shop in FL and I'll be able to pay for them a little at a time. I am also thinking about slapping a weber on it (have not bought it yet) and caming it like it is (Eagle's sugestion)! I got a cam off ebay for like $60.00 already just do not have the balls to start that one yet. I'm thinking about doing it all at once. Webber, Cam, rering, refresh the head! They need to change my title to Jeep Dreamer instead of Jeep Addict! Just really weighing options and seeing if the Restor continues to help or not!

I've got 4.5" on my '01 and I have a set of metric 33s(true 33s). I flex pretty well. I "rolled" the fender in the rear and trimmed the front so that there is still one bend/lip. I do rub in the front, but I don't have any bumpstops(other than stock). I would rub on my rear bumper, but it's gone, along w/ the rear quarterpanels. I think if you extended your bumpstops(not much, just a little) and trimmed. You'd be fine at 4.5. Just my experience. HTH

Ary

Good to hear that the restor is helping out a bit. I love that stuff. Next oil change you may want to degunk the engine with a flusher to help it out some more.
I bet you could stick in the cam carb and rings in a solid day. My friend said the weber conversion on his 258 was a cinch. Tackling engine stuff isnt so hard. Its just the mental trip of looking at all your disassembled crap halfway through and thinking to yourself "what the @##$ did I get into!?"
Score on the new tires though. They look mean.

Back