• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yet another AW4 problem...

WobblesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a search and came up with the solution that my transmission acts like the tcm isn't there. In the D position it'll start in first then shift directly to overdrive. I've tested the tps but of course that doesn't mean much. I've checked the inline fuse to the tcm it's good. What else do I need to look for? Thanks for the help.

I am not sure if this is the same problem...but my 88 Cherokee AW4 would go from 1st through the gears to 4th by the time I hit 15 mph. The engine idled and accelerated normally. While I could not find any direct problems with the TPS, I spent the $75 at Autozone, replaced the TPS, changed the transmission fluid and filter, disconnected and reconnected the battery, and for whatever reason, the transmission shifts great and downshifts as normal. I would also make sure that the TV cable is adjusted correctly on the throttle body. If the transmission was working fine, but now it is not, without anything-else changing, I would spend the $75 for a new TPS, disconnect and reconnect the battery, and see what happens. Just my 02.

Chad

Well I've checked all the voltages on the TCM like that site suggested and everything seemed fine. Replaced the TPS, changed the fluid and filter and it STILL shifts directly from 1-4th. I have no clue what's up with it now. Guess I'll have to take it to a shop or just continue shifting it manually.

Back