• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stroke '00

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
has anybody stroked a '00, and how reliable is it. by reliable i mean DD reliable being a 10 and stroked somewhere from 1 to 10. ?? i have seen lots of em here but was wondering if there was a '00 auto out there with these mods...
TIA nim

let me start off by saying that i dont have a '00 and i havent finished my stroker yet, so disregard what i have to say if you only want to hear of those with first hand experience.

With that said your question can really only be answered on a case by case basis. Since there are several different ways to get a stroker engine (long block, kit, or budget build-up) your stroker motor will be built with different parts, to different specs as others with the same year jeep, the reliability of the engine will be based on the construction of the engine and not the year. If you consider yourself a good mechanic, (or consider your mechanic to be good) a stroker can be quite reliable.

As for the rest of the drivetrain, you could expect a little shortening of the lifespan because of the extra power to the ground, but i have never heard of this being a problem for anyone.

NCSUcherokee said:
With that said your question can really only be answered on a case by case basis. Since there are several different ways to get a stroker engine (long block, kit, or budget build-up) your stroker motor will be built with different parts, to different specs as others with the same year jeep, the reliability of the engine will be based on the construction of the engine and not the year.

Exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself.
My own stroker was a budget build-up based on a '00 block, but you could say that it's something of a Frankenstein engine with a '98 timing set, '92 head, and crank/rods from the '70's. That said, I did a lot of research before building my stroker and chose parts that were proven to work, so I had little fear that something would go wrong. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
I've done 2600 miles on the stroker and so far, it's been trouble-free. Time will tell if it remains that way but until now I'm happy. The engine is strong, smooth, and hasn't consumed any oil since the 600 mile oil/filter change. Oil pressure is a healthy 25psi at idle and 45psi at speed when the engine's hot.
I'm due to change the oil again next week so I'll probably convert to Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic.

Dr. Dyno said:
Exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself.
My own stroker was a budget build-up based on a '00 block, but you could say that it's something of a Frankenstein engine with a '98 timing set, '92 head, and crank/rods from the '70's. That said, I did a lot of research before building my stroker and chose parts that were proven to work, so I had little fear that something would go wrong. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
I've done 2600 miles on the stroker and so far, it's been trouble-free. Time will tell if it remains that way but until now I'm happy. The engine is strong, smooth, and hasn't consumed any oil since the 600 mile oil/filter change. Oil pressure is a healthy 25psi at idle and 45psi at speed when the engine's hot.
I'm due to change the oil again next week so I'll probably convert to Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic.

Wow, you drag race your Jeep???
I am a big drag racer. I have a 98 Camaro with a 408ci, heads, cam, TH350, N2O, etc.......

No, I don't drag race it but I did do a couple of impromptu drag runs to see what it could do. Two weeks ago I did a [email protected] 1/4 mile.
This is my DD so I want it to be 100% reliable. I don't know how long my stroker will last but I hope it'll be a very long time. I changed the oil last week at the 3000 mile mark and I'm now using Mobil 1 0W-40 instead of 20W-50 dino oil. The oil pressure has dropped a fraction but it's still above 20psi at idle and 40-45psi at speed when hot.

Dr. Dyno said:
I changed the oil last week at the 3000 mile mark and I'm now using Mobil 1 0W-40 instead of 20W-50 dino oil. The oil pressure has dropped a fraction but it's still above 20psi at idle and 40-45psi at speed when hot.

That's what I decided to run in mine, also, Mobile 1 0W-40. I ran 20W-50 in my old motor. I'm assuming that the thinner cold viscousity will help at start up, even though it's not very cold here.

Back