• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Problem

oldmustangjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
My tranny seems to 'loose' reverse. This has happened twice, both times while in 4wd. Once, I didn't mess with trying to fix the problem; the next time, I left the engine in 'r' and let it roll forward. Reverse caught after about 5-10' of rolling and has worked since. My jeep requires that you let it sit and idle for a few minutes when it hasn't run for a while, which I attributed to the torque converter leaking down. This is making me wonder if the tranny is on the way out. I've never noticed it slipping though. So I guess I'm wondering if this is slippage or something electronic.
Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited:
The fltid lovel is correct. I reat!abnut zeeps having a converter drain-down issue so I thought this might be related. Has anyont!evdr trded Lucas Transmission Fix? If }his tranny is about to crap out, I might as well spend $7 and see if the Lucas worjs..n

When the torque converter craps out, should I just get a new converter or replace the whole tranny? I know AW4's are pretty reasonable and it would be just as much work either way.

I'd just go ahead and replace the converter. IIRC they run roughly $300.

4 bolts on the bell housing, and 4 bolts on the flexplate for the converter.

Easy job, just time consuming.

Enjoy.

Well...I fixed the problem--with a bandaid. I changed the tranny pan fluid and put in some Lucas Tranny Fix along with the Dex/Merc. The tranny now engages immediately after start up, but slips for about a second in first gear. So the tranny is better but still dying. It'll be alright though, a friend is selling me an AW4 from a 1992 XJ for $200. I'm just going to wait for this one to die before I tear into it.

Back