• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balljoints? When should they be replaced?

BornAgainXJer

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering what is the best way to determine whether you need to replace your balljoints or not. There is excessive noise when hitting bumps on the road.

I have gone over just about every bolt on the frontend. Any ideas?

Jack the front wheels off the ground. Grab the top and bottom of the tire and wiggle it, if you get play between the knuckles and the axle, right at the joints, that would be worn balljoints.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Jack the front wheels off the ground. Grab the top and bottom of the tire and wiggle it, if you get play between the knuckles and the axle, right at the joints, that would be worn balljoints.

Rev
So would that be the only sign of ware? Also, how hard to you have to "wiggle" the tires? Thanks

The movement will feel different. If its ball joints it will seem to be more spread out over the whole tire, if its bearings you will feel it more in the center. Bearings also usually make some sort of growling noise.

BornAgainXJer said:
How would I see the bearing wouldn't I have to pull the tire off and some other stuff?

Sorry...you don't really see it...you will "feel" the slop, and bea able to eliminate other areas that you can see, like balljoints.

Rev

Make sure that when you're doing the "grab n'shake" that you have the axle supported on the tube and not the knuckle...

I thought the bearing check was 3 and 9 o'clock, and the ball joints at 6 and 12?

Yucca-Man said:
Make sure that when you're doing the "grab n'shake" that you have the axle supported on the tube and not the knuckle...

I thought the bearing check was 3 and 9 o'clock, and the ball joints at 6 and 12?
Thanks for the info

Back