• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Park Light Fuse Blues

Noodle

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 89 XJ and it has an auto-reset 10 amp circut breaker in the Park light fuse slot, when I turn on the park lights they flash like hazards as the breaker turns on and shuts off. Any certain place these get a short or something that would cause this?

Also, the main wiring bundle feeding the forward lights runs throiugh a connector located behind the left headlight, sort of under/in front of the air box. The terminals in that connector can become severely corroded. That might be part of your problem. If the ground connection is lost, the lights try to seek a ground through other filaments, and the system may be back-feeding.

I had the same problem on my '87 XJ. Let me guess, no dash lights or parking lights but your light switch turns on the headlights and dome light. First off, check to see if the PARKLPS 10 Amp fuse isn't blown. Remove the driver's side under dash side trim. It should be two screws that hold in and it wraps around the hood release. There is a metal bracket on the side trim itself that is shorting to ground. Move the wire bundles and disconnect and reconnect any electrical connectors you can see. When you re-attach the the side trim make sure that the metal bracket isn't touching any wire harnesses. Also, check to see if the right bulbs are installed in the tail lights. this should solve your problem. If it doesn't, then I would start looking at your lights switch itself. Hope this helps!!

Back