• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing keyless entry w/ Gregs mod already done.

kellen

NAXJA Forum User
Well I thought that just adding a keyless entry would be simple with Greg Smiths modification already done, as I would know where the unlock and lock wires are at.
My problems. Are the lock and unlock wires positive or negative. My keyless entry has a negative output to control the locks. Where do I attach this to, before or after the relay I spliced in? If the lock/unlock wires are positive, I know I need to add two more relays. Using the same relay as Gregs, what would be connected where?

If anyone has done this, I would appreciate some help or directions.

Kellen

From doing Greg's Mod last week (good job Greg), the lock / unlock signal from the door switches are positive trigger (0 V when not pressed, 12 V when pressed). What is the signal for the keyless entry system look like? Is it 12 V when not pressed and 0 V when pressed? Or is it -12 V when pressed and 0 V when not? This will help determine how to wire it up. With this info, I can probably post a diagram for how to wire it.

The guide says that the unlock wires are a negative pulse of 200mA. So if the jeep is a positive pulse, then I will need to use relays just like the ones I used for Gregs write up (thats what the manual w/ the alarm). The guide says that using the 30, 85, 86, 87, and 87a, I should put a constant 12v to 86 and 87, the unlock wire from the alarm to 85 and then 30 to the wire of the unlock.

More questions then. What about 87a? It doesn't say what to put into it, just that it is blank. Also, where would I connect the 30 signal to for the jeeps unlock/lock wire? Before Gregs relay to the unlock (or lock) wire, or after?
Thanks!
Kellen

Last edited:
Where to put 87a depends on where you put the relays. You can put them before or after and neither one really matters--it's simply which is easier to do.

If you put them before Greg's relays, then 87a becomes the input from the door switches (what used to go to 86 on Greg's relays) and 30 goes to 86 on Greg's relays.

If you put them after, 30 from Greg's relays goes to 87a on the new relays and 30 on the new relays goes out to the doors (where 30 from Greg's relays used to go).

Either way, you'll have to make a couple of changes to what you had wired.

Well nothing seems to work. I just keep blowing fuses. I put a 12V from the fuse panel to 86 and 87. Then I put the unlock to 85. Now I tried both sets of inputs/outputs of the unlock to each of 87a and 30. I just keep blowing fuses from the fuse box (the stereo one).

When you say if I put them before or after Gregs fuses, is that from the door wires or the car wires. Anything else that could be responsible or that I should try? Also the relays just both say 87, is the middle one generally 87a or just 87?

Thanks,

Kellen

Do you have a way of measuring the voltage of the lock / unlock signals coming from the keyless entry unit? If you can measure the signal with neither button pressed (the pulse duration is too short to catch with a multi-meter when they are pressed), that'll help me figure out what kind of singal is is giving you. Otherwise if you can tell me the make and model of the keyless entry system, I may be able to find documentation on the web for it. I am working on a couple of diagrams showing how to wire it, but need a little more information before I can be sure they'll work.

Are the relays 4 or 5 contact relays? I'm not sure this can work with 4 contact relays for the keyless entry (someone else will have to tell me if I'm wrong).

The relays are the same 5 prong ones called for in Gregs, as well as what the book says to use. The model is a VALET 561R. The only problem was that the relays I bought don't differentiate between 87 and 87a.

kellen

Are you able to to a continuity check between the 30 contact and both 87 contacts? 87a should be a direct short to 30 when the relay is sitting on a table without any power applied to 85 or 86.

I pulled the old ones I used for Gregs write up and the found out which one was 87a (the middle one). Still stumped why it won't work.

Kellen

it has the installation guide, but you have to use google to find it. it's a little difficult to figure out what style system this is, so I'm reading everything closely to try to determine how it should be wired. What year jeep are we dealing with here? (It'll help me determine how close mine is to yours.)

I'm not going to be able to continue this any further tonight I'm afraid (prior committments), but I'll continue to look at it tomorrow. The Installation Guide is found at http://www.directed.com/guides/manuals/ig/valet/N561R_06-03.pdf for anyone else who is following this and wants to try to get Kellen working yet tonight.

Kellen,

One more thought--this is a vehicle that didn't previously have keyless entry, correct? If it did, it's probably pretty easy to bypass the old system. If it didn't, I think the same wiring that the factory system would have used can be used here. I'm going to try to e-mail you an image of how the factory system was wired--I suspect that may be how to do this correctly.

Chris

This car does have the factory keyless entry, but its the old IR and I don'thave a remote. Its a 89 jeep cherokee laredo.

Kellen
Thanks for all the help

Last edited:
Kellen,

Ironically enough that is the exact vehicle I'm going to be adding an after-market keyless entry system to, so this I've got some incentive to help you make this work.

From the wiring diagram from my Jeep repair manual and from the documentation on the keyless entry system, I think we can make this work. There is a white and a dark green wire going into the passenger door lock switch (there should be a connector with them above the factory relays for the old keyless entry system). What you need to do is wire up a Type A scheme, cut those wires, connect the side going into the passenger door to 30 (where they show the connection to the lock and unlock signals) and connect 87a to the other side of the wire (otherwise the driver's door switch won't work). This should make it all work. If you need a diagram, PM me with an e-mail address I can send it to.

Chris

All right, so to some it up.

30 and 87a go to the new wires, with 30 getting either the green or white wire from the door. 87a gets either green and white wires from the other cut end, with each of the 2 relays getting green only or white only

Then 86 and 87 get a constant 12V (fused) and my trigger (the alarm negative 200mA) goes to 85. This is for both.

Does this sound right? Also which ones is unlock and lock for the green and white wire.

Thanks again

Last edited:
I just went and tried it, but still it isn't working. I only hooked up one relay to just the white wire, but nothing would happen. The lights would dim and the wire started getting hot, so I think something got crossed that shouldn't have.

Any other ideas?

Kellen

Back