• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil spill cleanup kits

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
What do you guys carry for dealing with the unfortunate circumstance of an oil spill on a trail? Rick had some nifty material/fabric sheets that we used to soak up oil up in Moab after CRok flipped his rig. What were those? and what else is useful/good for that purpose?

BajaXJ92 said:
yeah yeah yeah.... google is one thing and another things is hearing from people firsthand as to what works for them and what doesnt. I read on Del's page a bit about some suggested products, but I am looking for more info. Also I think that it's a good topic to discuss here and make everyone think about carrying something with them on the trail.

They work great, they`ll even suck up oil out of water and not suck up any water. places like Grainger or any industrial supply can get them.

Kejtar said:
yeah yeah yeah.... google is one thing and another things is hearing from people firsthand as to what works for them and what doesnt. I read on Del's page a bit about some suggested products, but I am looking for more info. Also I think that it's a good topic to discuss here and make everyone think about carrying something with them on the trail.

Well ain't you just a wealth of knowledge.

Where can I get a Kejtar Kit to carry on the trail?

How about a trash bag and a shovel. Sop up the oil with dirt and scoop it into the bag. Throw it away with the rest of your trash when you get home.

Ralph said:
How about a trash bag and a shovel. Sop up the oil with dirt and scoop it into the bag. Throw it away with the rest of your trash when you get home.
That's what we did at the con more or less when the motor hydrod and threw the rod.
Problem arises when you're on a no sand/rocky surface with scarce supply of sand/dirt. In any case I was thinking about carrying some kittie litter but then there is the issue of having to carry extra crap and making sure it's somewhat available on a short notice (it'd be useless if it was buried deep)....
Anyways I'm also looking at www.NewPig.com stuff but it's kind of pricy and there is too damn many to choose from.

I have some paper towel -ish absorbent sheets I got at a parts store, and a container of spill cleaner from homey d's (like an absorbent granule type stuff) a pound is a lotand its re-usable until it wont absorb anything anymore ;-) , it has worked pretty good for me , along with heavy duty trash bags and a shovel.

Back