• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MO bumper height law

MO Lawmakers said:
This subsection shall not apply to motor vehicles designed or modified primarily for off-highway purposes while such vehicles are in tow...

Having not yet registered my wheeling rig in MO, is there a way to register it for off-highway use only? The above quote implies such a condition. Not much help for a modified daily driver, however. I wonder if a removable bumper extension would be allowed? Would be a PITA, but what isn't these days?

just duct tape some piece of plastic on there, sure it will be ugly, sure it will be flimsy, but it sure will save you 150 bones too.

accualy i talked to some cops about bumper laws 3 days ago. cant rember the legal height, they all kinda argued about what it was between themselves. they all told me tho that they had never written anyone a ticket for it and there are some huge "pretty trucks" running around. but about the taping plastic on, they told me they measure from the lowest METAL point on the front bumper, so u could make a metal quick release bumper extinsion that would pass. seems like someone in one of the northeast states had to a while back. might search for it.

kolby

i'm not really worried about tickets... im just worried about passing the state safety inspection... i gotta get my inspectors license.

if its the lowest metal point, just bolt on a piece of metal that hangs straight down. doesnt have to be very wide, just long enough to keep it legal

a friend of mine had the same problem in NJ. he built a flange that hung out of the front reciever and droped down and over.

then he plowed into a civic that stoped short and put the trunk into the rear seat... (on the civic)...

his drop in bumper attachment was fine, scratched rattle can paint and a bent corner... (1/8" plate)

okay im buying a 2005 dodge cummins it has a 20-22in lift its on 47s now it has welded on drop down bumpers and here we only have the bumper law but should i put a bigger drop down bumper? the guy before me got pulled over and had to have it towed a bunch cause they wouldnt let him drive it home but anyways, what all can i do to get them off my back?

drop it a couple inches, start cutting with a sawzall. its what id do. but then again i dont know a lot about dodges. cause i drive an xj... ;)

uhhhhh... drop it like 16 inches and put smaller tires on it?

would nominate but can't.

Why wouldn't they let him tow it? was he an ornery cuss about it, or is it mechanically unsound? pics?

Back