• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering with 4.5" lift

You will need to recenter the axle with a new adjustable tracbar, or you can redrill the tracbar hole on the axle.

I have an RE 4.5 lift w/ the adjustable track bar (a must). I had some pretty wicked bumpsteer after install and alignment, so after seeing that the draglink was not lined up with the track bar, I went with a 1" drop pittman (ZJ stock), which fixed the problem.

lostcreek21 said:
Hi, I was wondering if you have to modify the steering in anyway at 4.5 inches? It's an 87. I didn't know if I should get a dropped pitman or what. Thanks

It all depends on your particular combination. Since you do not provide many details (what lift kit, what track bar etc.), suggestions can only be general.

Make sure the truck is aligned properly and check if the track bar is parallel to the drag link. If they are, you do not need one. If not, you will probably need a small drop. The Grand Cherokee pitman gives you 1" of drop and that's all you should need.

Take it from someone who had changed 3 pitmans, trying to solve a steering problem, which was mostly due to the stupid TRE at the end of the track bar.

Rgds

Back