• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end clunk

junkjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 92 xj with a bad clunk in the front end some where. I t seems to mostly do it when turning left and sometimes to the right. I have changed the universals in the front shafts and in the front drive shaft, I also changed the ball joints on the drivers side. The tie rod ends seem fine and every thing else is tight. the control arm bushings are a little rough looking but not destroyed. any ideas? thanks

Check your Track bar!
It is prolly loose or might need replacing.
Stand in front and have some one turn the steering wheel back and forth, is the front axle seems to jump to one side or another, look at the Track bar.

JunkJeep, we had that problem a year ago on my wife's '91 XJ and it turned-out to be the driver's side track bar mounting bracket. I was told, at that time, this was a common problem ('haven't experienced it on either of our '88XJ's tho) and the solution was to weld the bracket to the frame . . . . the problem has never returned. 'Hope this helps. Don

I've had the same problem, it was the trackbar relocation bracket that came with my lift. It was split in half and allowed movement when turning, but looked fine when underneath and nothing was happening (the halves stayed squished together and hid the crack in the middle).

Back