• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC sucking life out of engine?

Colby

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a big fan of summertime, but I hate running the AC in my Jeep. Everybit of power gets sucked out of the engine. Has anyone overcome this problem? Does someone make an underdrive pulley kit for the 4.0? My Jeep is a 95 XJ 4.0 5spd with 72k miles. The only engine mods I have are a Turbo City air tube w/ K&N filter. There must be something I can do without spending thousands of dollars. Thanks,

Colby

Yup...there is something you can do.....

day3.jpg

Never use the A/C.

Rev

Last edited:
On my 98 I can hardly tell the AC is running when driving down the road. It is completely stock. Are you running larger tires that are allready sucking power? Maybe you need to look at regearing.

I'm running 31s with stock gearing which definitely contribute to the power problem Regearing might be the best (only?) option.
Colby

you said that you have a 5spd, so you might have 3.07 or 3.55 gears. If you have 3.07 ratio you could go salvage yard hunting for axles with the 3.55. If you already have 3.55, 4.11 is a little larger jump with only 31's. Maybe somebody else with that combination will chime in and say how they like it.

Have you looked into all the other possibilities. Give it a full tuneup with cap, rotor, plugs, and a can of good injector cleaner?

I have an '88 5-speed 4.0L with 235,000 miles. Running the a/c makes no discernable difference, either seat-of-pants or in highway gas mileage.

The a/c does not "suck the life" out of the 4.0L. If you have a 5-speed then you have 3.07 gears, and with 31" tires THAT's what's sucking the life out of your 4.0L. 3.07 isn't enough gear with stock tires, and the 31's drop the RPMs for any speed by another 10 percent. At 65 miles per hour your engine is only turning about 1400 RPM -- that's barely more than idle speed.

31s with 3.73 gears match the final drive ratio of stock tires and 3.54 gears exactly. Sounds to me like you really need 4.10s.

I too can tell a big difference with my A/C running. I'm running 4.0/auto/31's with 4.10's. Unless it's really hot, I don't run the A/C.

RR3

I have the same problem with my '95. Maybe its a problem with the particular model year. I notice that whenever the fan on the condenser coil at the radiator energizes is when I experience the greatest loss of power and the engine whines. I've adopted the "don't look and maybe it will go away" policy, but that has not seemed to work. Things are also worse now that I'm running 31s with stock gearing.

'88 base model with a 4.0L, AW4, 215/75/R15 stock-size (AFAIK) tires; AC does put some drag on it, not sure if I'm already down on the power (AFAIK again, this thing's still got the stock cat and who knows what else too, probably not helping much) or if I'm just being too critical.... I don't think I've ever pushed the gas pedal further than 1/2 way down - having no tach scares me :D

brtb said:
'88 base model with a 4.0L, AW4, 215/75/R15 stock-size (AFAIK) tires;

Man, you don't seem to realize that you own a HIGHLY modified Jeep :D

The stock tire size for an '88 base model (or a Pioneer, for that matter) was 195/75R15. The mandatory "upgrade" if you opted for the 20-gallon fuel tank was a huge 205/75R15. Your tires are so much bigger than stock I'm surprised you can drive without an oxygen mask.

Dude eagle, my tires have a stock 225/70 R15.... hehe actually thats just what was on int when we got it from the dealer used.

Damn, im big pimpin now, next stop foedee foes!

I have a '91 xj with an auto and 225/70/15 radial t/a's with numerous engine and body lightening mods and i must say i've been considering taking out the a/c and finding a shorter serpentine belt for it cause i hate the a/c as i see it drain a ton of power from the motor too

Eric

It's funny how some of you gentlemen are complaining about the A/C robbing you of power, with those 4.0 lt engines, with anything between 180 and almost 200 bhp). I think you are spoiled!

In Greece, cars with engines larger than 2.0 lts, are almost forbidden by taxation laws, unless you are a tycoon. So I would invite you to drive either my '84 Cherokee with the anemic, carburated 2.5 lt engine, or my Ssang Yong Musso, with its equally anemic 2.0 lt Mercedes engine (135 bhp with almost 1,900 kgs of weight) and turn on the A/C. Then, you will know what "sucking power from my engine" means.

Rgds

Boz88xj said:
Dude eagle, my tires have a stock 225/70 R15.... hehe actually thats just what was on int when we got it from the dealer used.

"Stock" is what was sold by the factory, not Joe the Gyp's Used Car and Bike Emporium. Jeep never used any 70-series tires on the XJ until they started using 16-inch rims in 2000. Any 15-inch 70-series tire was definitely not "stock"

My '96 with a 4.0 litre has a huge loss of power with the a/c running. Every car I've owned has had a little loss in power, but not near as much as my jeep.

Eagle said:
Man, you don't seem to realize that you own a HIGHLY modified Jeep :D

The stock tire size for an '88 base model (or a Pioneer, for that matter) was 195/75R15. The mandatory "upgrade" if you opted for the 20-gallon fuel tank was a huge 205/75R15. Your tires are so much bigger than stock I'm surprised you can drive without an oxygen mask.

195's stock? And I thought the 215's looked small compared to the other Jeeps in the parking lot :D

Oh yeah, this thing's all modded out. Zero factory options apart from the 4.0, AW4 and 20-gal gas tank. 215 tires (which don't seem to mess with the speedometer any), really crappily-wired (think loosely twisted together wires with masking tape... fixed that already) CD player hooked to what looks like pro-installed speakers in the front doors (yeah I know there aren't supposed to be door speakers), remnants of a Radio Shack car alarm I ripped out, $20 Autozone muffler, badly installed shift-interlock-recall device.

Probably all-original everything else, including the stupid no-tach instrument panel, very old-looking but not rattling cat and who knows what else hasn't been replaced. Emissions timer was unplugged so who knows how long it's been like that. Owner before me was a college student who probably fancied himself an electrical engineer and mechanic but was far from it. At least it's had regular oil changes...

Gets 18-20mpg city and it's not _too_ loud so I'm not messing with it. Too much. :angel:

Back