• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Arc Welders

XJRob

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at buying a cheap arc welder to have around the house. Any suggestions??? I have my eye on a Chicago Electric Arc-140 Welder from Harbor Freight for ~ $80. The specs are : input power 115/230volts AC; welding current 30-140 amps. Anyone have this??? I am very novice when it comes to welding and the budget is very limited right now. I plan to repair the shock mount on the front axle that appears to be cracked and going to give out on me any day now. In the future, the plan is to bulid my own roof rack. Will this welder cut it ?

Well, if you don't have the money, then you don't have the money. Personally, though, I think a cheap welder is false economy. In the end you'll wish you had something more capable and you'll spend the money anyway. Better to wait and save until you can get a decent welder.

If you need welding work done right now, I'd just find a local welder who will do it for a reasonable price (or maybe a local 4-wheeler whose good with a welder and will do it for a 6-pack).

Good luck!

I understand your budget is limited but seriously if you save up a little more money get a Lincoln AC225 stick welder (about $220new) or maybe find a used one for around $100. Those things are diehard machines and will tackle just about any project you can throw at it. They are a little tricky with thin sheetmetal but for what you are talking about would do the trick just fine!

I actually had an old welder tell me to use the sticks for stainless steel for body metal welding. He said they produced less heat and therefore less warpage.

Lincoln

I agree with the Lincoln. I've used one of those Chicago Electric welders and although they do weld you will notice alot of difference in quality with a more expensive welder. I got a Miller mig off of e-bay but still use the Lincoln alot cause its so easy. There is nothing wrong with the Chicago Electric but I can spot right away welds made with a less expensive welder by the heat fluctuations. Better to save up on this one unless you only weld "arts and crafts" items. For structural things get as good as you can afford.

Im no expert in welding but I do know that if you buy an off brand now you will spend the money one day to either find parts for it or replace it with a well known name. You will replace parts on any welder and it is nice to have those parts be readily accessible and cheaper. Save up a little more cheese and go for one of the big names, Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart just to name a few you will be glad you did. Ive got a deal in the works For a Lincoln Idealarc that is a stick, mig, and tig unit from my work for around $250. Granted deals like that only come around never but I guess I just got lucky. The wire drive and tig torch and pedal are well worth what Im going to spend on the whole thing. Just though I would share that Im excited. Happy beads.

WILDHORSE

Back