• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power window lock out acting up

creed4017

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 93 xj. the power windows wont work unless they are rolled up and down with the drivers side panel, as if the lock is stuck on....any ideas?

creed4017 said:
i have a 93 xj. the power windows wont work unless they are rolled up and down with the drivers side panel, as if the lock is stuck on....any ideas?
I have an 00 XJ with the same problem, though it's only sporadic. Sometimes the other window switches will work, sometimes they have no power (switch lights are off also).

Since it's originally from New England and has quite a bit of corrosion, I figured that was the cause.

Does anyone know if there is a way to clean the window lock contacts or is this one of those things you just have to buy a new one? My windows have been doing the same on my '99 since I bought it 2 weeks ago and it drives me nutts having to lock and then unlock the windows every time I have a passenger who wants to use the window.

Justin

I've had this happen off and on also. I would guess that if you take the wires off where they connect to the switch and spray some contact cleaner or wipe off the contacts with an emory cloth it will take care of it. I did the emory cloth thing on my gauge contacts when my gauge would go out, and haven't had a problem since. I'm gonna do this some time soon.

mine do this intermittent thing too. real PIA. not sure why but my guess is shorting...probably drivers side. after looking at all of the wiring in the jeep i have come to the conclusion that it all pretty much sucks considering it is a modern off road capable vehicle. i guess its time to get the door panel tool out and rewire everything...maybe get the new speakers in while im there.
this seems like a common problem (lockout switch and other electrics in the doors)... hope find the prob and get it fixed.

When you take the switch panel off, might as well just disconnect the window lock switch permanently (prob just need to splice 2 of the wires together).

my g/f's 98 is doing this on and off too, just checking in to see if anyone has successfully cleaned any contacts or something simple like that so i can take care of it for her?

Back