• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radio install question

U

user name

Hello

Wife just bought a 2000 cherokee sport. I would like to go ahead an install the cd player that we have. I only need to know, does the trim around the radio and a/c-heater just pop off or are there hidden screws? I didn't wanna start prying and chip it. I can wire the radio and amps no problem, just need to know about the trim, thanks

It has clips, so gently pull it outward. There are two places to grip it at the bottom, no need to pry per se.

I'm pretty sure the design of the trimpiece didn't change much between my 96 and the '00 although there were enough other changes. Pull the four screws out before prying on the trim though. Two underneath the top edge of the speedo cluster, one above the cig lighter and one more above the headllight switch. With the 2000 you'll probably have to remove the clamshell around the steering column to get enough room to lift the bezel out though; there are several compression clips that hold the trim in place so pull carefully.

Yucca-Man said:
I'm pretty sure the design of the trimpiece didn't change much between my 96 and the '00 although there were enough other changes. Pull the four screws out before prying on the trim though. Two underneath the top edge of the speedo cluster, one above the cig lighter and one more above the headllight switch. With the 2000 you'll probably have to remove the clamshell around the steering column to get enough room to lift the bezel out though; there are several compression clips that hold the trim in place so pull carefully.
- well even that changed from 96, there are no screws, just throw the shifter in 1st, pull on the trim piece from the bottom, the from top, then it should be pretty clear from there- just 2 bolts to remove factory radio.

Yucca-Man said:

There are NO screws holding the trim piece in, on '97s and up... just gently pull the trim piece at the lower corners, as instructed above...

Ivan

How boring! What fun is it to have all those loose screws floating around in the cabin then? Oh well...what I wrote works for the 96 and earliers at least ;)

I always liked all the Dash Screws too. No matter how careful you were, you always had a few left over when you were done........

Back