• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Help / Advice

FitchVA

NAXJA Forum User
gotta question on wether or not a local d44 i've found for sale is worth it. here's a snipped of the ad..

XJ D-44 3.55 noisy pinion bearings fairly new brakes and hardware drum to drum $250 and I'll throw in a pair of new axle bearings and seals

i would be getting this to replace my chry 8.25 in my '98 (so it's the 29 spline).

i would also regear it and install a locker soon after getting it. my question would be how much will it run me to fix the pinionn bearings and get the axle bearings & seals in it? or will any of this get taken care of when i get it regeared?

or should i just regear the 8.25? (but i'd really like the security of the 44)

thanks in advance.

Personnaly I don´t see much wrong with 8.25. Have had both in various Dodge trucks. Personnaly found the 8.25 easier to work on, but have heard just the opposite, from others. Never had a whole lot of trouble out of either one, unless I really abussed them.

FitchVA said:
gotta question on wether or not a local d44 i've found for sale is worth it. here's a snipped of the ad..

i would be getting this to replace my chry 8.25 in my '98 (so it's the 29 spline).

i would also regear it and install a locker soon after getting it. my question would be how much will it run me to fix the pinionn bearings and get the axle bearings & seals in it? or will any of this get taken care of when i get it regeared?

or should i just regear the 8.25? (but i'd really like the security of the 44)

thanks in advance.

"A c-clip axle is always a c-clip axle (8.25)"

I recently did the D44 swap from the D35 after about 2 years of hard action.

Depends on how much wheeling you are doing and on what types of courses.
The 8.25 is a pretty damn strong axle, but will leave you out hanging when it
breaks.

It's always nice to have a good backup and for 250, it's not a bad deal.

If you know how to rebuild it it would be fine. but really it's no stronger then the one you got. the only advantages are the non c-clip (Ihaven't heard of breaking due the the clips) and you can go lower then 4.56 gears.

FitchVA said:
While regearing yhou wil take care of the bearings cause that's part of the process (as long as you get the full install kit). Seals on the pinion are replaced at the same time regearing happens. If it leaks on the axle shafts thought it's a PITA to replace those seals but it's doable (just have to have a press that's tall enough).

Back