• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion angle and caster shims

soulslngr

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know how much shim might need to be removed to equal a 3-4 degree change at the pinion angle? my front pinion is about 5 degrees out of phase with the driveshaft, and I would like to get it closer to see if it gets rid of this nasty vibe I have. if no one knows than i'll just start pullin and measuring til its gets good! just thought someone might have a rough idea... :wierd:

How about a little more info, such as whether this is on a stock XJ or lifted, what the steering caster angle is, and if it's a high pinion or low pinion front axle?

By shims, you're referring to the spacers in the lower control arm pocket at the frame?

3" lift that actually netted 3", i believe Rough Country? lower control arms (box style), adjustable track bar, the caster is at 6.10 L and 6.13 R i think. toe is at 0. and it is a high pinion D30. I measured up the pinion angle and it is about 5 deg out of phase with shaft. and yes I am referring to the shims in the LCA pocket. if anyone has any info it would help me out a bunch... i cut class tonight and any more details needed please ask....decided to chop my fenders instead of start playing with the angles.. sure i made some friends of the neighbors with the angle grinder on sheetmetal :laugh2:

well last night, I removed 4 of 7 shims that were in the LCA buckets, broke on of those bolts that slides bucket back so I'll have to replace that, but for now the ride seems a heck of a lot more controlled at highway speeds. it def needs more attention to go in a perfectly straight line but it doesnt have that nasty vibe upsetting the whole frontend making it want to steer itself. overall I'd have to give it a :clap: I will take secondary measurements this afternoon and report back

Back