• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

burnt dipstick

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
I just checked my tranny fluid and noticed that about four inches or so above the read area that the dipstick looks burnt. By that I mean that it's black(-ish) and no, it doesn't rub off. The fluid smells fine (I have a cold, though). Is that about where the dipstick enters the pan? Maybe this is normal, but I never noticed it before. Any ideas?

Timber said:
I just checked my tranny fluid and noticed that about four inches or so above the read area that the dipstick looks burnt. By that I mean that it's black(-ish) and no, it doesn't rub off. The fluid smells fine (I have a cold, though). Is that about where the dipstick enters the pan? Maybe this is normal, but I never noticed it before. Any ideas?

on an engine dipstick it would indicate that the motor got hot enough to sear it. I would think that might be similar to what has happened to yours at one point or another.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I've been meaning to put a tranny gauge in but haven't gotten to it yet. I had the pan dropped almost a year ago to have everything cleaned/drained out, and I've had a small drip ever since. Before that, nothing ever leaked a bit.

Last edited:
Back