• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need more stroker advice, caught by a snag.

xjfrank

NAXJA Forum User
Turns out the block (88) I was rebuilding had a crack that didn't show up in the magnaflux. I've already mildly ported, polished, 3-angled, and assembled the head. So I have an 88 head ready-to-go and I'll need another block to finish with. I tossed this out on our club's mailing list and everyone thought the newer webbed and smoother block would be better to build.

So, could I get away with a newer block, old head, and late-model intake (with the mustang tb swap a possibility) ?

Anything I need to be especially careful with?

thanks in advance,
frank

Any block up to 99 will work - 97 and later have the main bearing girdle installed but its possible to add it to the earlier ones by purchasing the studs and brace from the dealer. My stroker is a 90 block with the Renix head - the Drag Comanche is a 99 block with the 92 HO Head. I have both a 89 engine and a 2000 short block in the garage to sell cheap; I'm in RI if you are in the Northeast.

xjfrank said:
So, could I get away with a newer block, old head, and late-model intake (with the mustang tb swap a possibility) ?

Anything I need to be especially careful with?

thanks in advance,
frank

Yes you can use your existing head with any year 4.0 block from '87-'04. It'll bolt straight on. The late model intake manifold will bolt onto your Renix head but you'll need to grind material from the ports so that they match the intake runners.
The Mustang 65mm TB will work (must be '86-'93 5.0 version) but it needs a lot of modification. You'll need a spare Jeep 4.0 HO TB from which to cannibalize the throttle shaft, linkage, and IAC barrel. The only parts of the Mustang TB that you're going to use are the main body and the throttle plate. Everything else will be discarded.
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/MustangTB.html

Back