• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do with black flairs-

Judd W. VA

NAXJA Forum User
Looking typically-nasty on my '98 Sport. Someone recommended this 'Permanently Black' (or something like that) stuff that i went ahead and ordered. Turns out that even paying a whopping $25 product and shipping amounts to a small bottle of 'cleaner' and small shoe polish bottle applicator deal that might do one of them. What a rip-off!! Anyway, am still interested in legitimate products that are available to make those things black again, and that will last a while. Surely there must be a die kinda thing out there or similar-

Thanks, Judd

was it "Forever Black", because it has an applicator like shoe polish, but it is supposed to re-dye the plastic permanently. i think its about $8 a bottle and you can only get it online. I don't knwo if thats what you already trioed or not.

Good ol peanut butter!

I am using a product called Mother's Back to Black. It looks real good so far, but it's only been on a couple weeks. It will really shine up the flairs. It's not very expensive, maybe $3-4.

I would try the peanut butter trick, but I'm afraid it will attract tree rats. And I don't want them eating my flairs.....:eek:

my 98 xj has been wrecked 2 times both times it damaged the flairs, had to tell the body shop not to replace theflairs so that the faded color would match. what i don't understand is why the bumper end caps don't fade as bad.

i used this heavy duty stuff!!!!!! Krylon black spray paint!! it is what the pros use!! anything else is second best!!!

stoney

Stoney.......Seriously??

Sorry for waiting to further reply on this thread that i posted. Kinda forgot about it.

Anyway, are you serious about spraypaint?! Is my understanding painting automotive plastics requires all kinds of 'flex agents' and the such. That plastic looks so dang porus that i surely would think a die would sink right in and last a while. I cannot find that Mother's stuff anywhere. Thanks.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
I am using a product called Mother's Back to Black. It looks real good so far, but it's only been on a couple weeks. It will really shine up the flairs. It's not very expensive, maybe $3-4.

That's the stuff. It was 5 Bucks at Autozone. It works. My black door handles are going a milky white and I tested it on one of them...turn it back to black. Don't know how long it lasts tho'. I'm waiting to see.

that back to black stuff is more like black to...CRAP!

no joke

i tried it a couple years ago on a friends 86 mustang, with heavily faded black trim...yeah, it looked fantastic for awhile (dont remeber how long exactly...at least 4 weeks dependsing how think u lay it on)

but after a couple months i think it looked almost a shade WORSE!!

so i guess if u wanged to keep applying it, u could do that.......but thatsa majoy PITA i would think. i would go another route.

my $.02

CaptTrev

I heard Krylon's got some new stuff that bonds great to plastic. Even flexes with it, but I've never tried it. Mine were gray to almost white last week. Hit 'em with 303 protectant and they look great again. It lasts for a month or so, then fades, but it's easy to put on and keeps the UV from damaging the plastic (or so it says).

black stuff

Go to Griots check their stuff out. All of them are guarnteed. I use lots of their stuff and it all works very well!! They do have a "bumper dye" that should fix your problem.

griots garage

y not use spay paint! i got some from kragen the other day for 99 cents!! whopidoo if it starts flackin off sand it down a little and respray it! do it on ur way out the door to go to work!! and it is cheap! trust me it will last longer than a month!!

i jsut painted my front clip black and i have painted my fenders when i had them on! and it never seemed to wear off!

stoney

Last edited:
Are you nuts, its a JEEP!!! Just kiddin. Have the same problem.I tried the FOREVER BLACK-didn't work,VINYLEX-save your money,need not mention SON OF A WHAT,ARMORALL.So far,and Im still looking for something better,2nd would be MOTHERS, 1st would be MEGUIARS GOLD CLASS TRIM DETAILER applied with foam type wax applicator.

My a friend of a friend works at a auto body shop and he says that he uses something that works wonders. My friend is gonna try it out on his TJ flares with major sun damage (lived in Florida for a while) if it works, ill find out the name of the product, or if he has any left over, ill send some to ya.

Judd W. VA said:
Surely there must be a die kinda thing out there or similar-

Thanks, Judd

Judd, I painted all my gray Laredo trim and flairs black several years ago and it's still holding up well. There is an automotive paint supply shop out here that carries the stuff in a rattle can (SEM brand....I think) and it is designed for bumpers and trim that will flex, so it doesn't chip or peel. Just clean them with a good degreaser and then lightly scuff then, you'll wind up with a quality satin finish.

Good stuff, about $8-10 a can IIRC, but a can will easily do your flares 4+ times......not that you'll need to repaint them anytime soon.

If you can wait, you can do them when you get to Yootaw...........

XJEEPER

Mothers Back to Black" is a great product, if the flairs are not in that bad a shape.
I've been using it on mine about every 6 months, and they hold the color nicely.
If on the other hand, they are fadded badly to the point of looking white, it's to late for Back to Black.
Try some dye. I've heard that works pretty good.
Steer clear of paint, unless it's spacifically for plastic.
I think the key to keeping the trim looking good, is to get on it from the get-go, and stay on it with a good silicone base product.
As I stated Mothers Back to Black has worked for me, but I have stayed on them twice a year.
Of course you could get a new set of flairs, but they are pretty salty.

Back