• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power lock trouble in '96 XJ

blairboyd

NAXJA Forum User
I apologize if this has been posted before, but Chiltons hasnt been very helpful with power locks...anyway, when i use the locks, the back doors and tailgate will unlock with no hassle. however, the front two locks will take several tries to (both, depending on which side you open first), or just never fully catch. If anyone has a good idea on where i should start, i would appreciate it for the sake of my passengers. Thank you.

First, do a search using the search function, that will lead to alot of postings on this.
Second, what it comes down to will be to remove the inside covers covers on the doors, clean the soleniods, check for binding, check the electrical connections including the wiring where it comes in thru the door from the cab. Clean all the connections and rewire as necessary, the door wires crack and can short out or get corroded and lower voltage to the solenoids. There should also be some tips to improve the 'grunt' on them a bit... good idea to have a voltmeter or DVM handy...

I had that same problem a few months ago. You need to remove the door trims and lube the lock cylinder/locking mechanism. I used some good quality grease which seem to have solved the problem.

Back