• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to mount the hidden hitch...

Micha

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys!

got a hidden hitch (2'') for my xj from the junkjard (50$) without any nuts and bolts.

what size bolts should i use to mount the thing. and: how do i get the nuts to those bolts in place? i can see the mounting holes but it doesn't seem as if there is a thread behind each - or am i wrong?

thanks a lot, guys

keep on truckin

Your next stop is the jeep dealer, what you want are 'nut cert plates' for mounting a rear skid plate. They are a long steel plate that has nuts welded on it, they go inside the rear frame rails so you have to remove the rear bumper. There are two, one left, one right. Next stop after you get the plates is a hardware store for some grade 5 bolts about 1 1/2" long of the correct thread so you need the nut cert plates with you. I don't remember the size. Then it's just a matter of getting the rear bumper off, inserting the plates, bolting up the rear receiver and putting the bumper back on....
Some here fish nuts inside the frame rail and bolt to them, downside is the single bolts/nuts do not spread the load along the axis of the frame rails and can pull out. This is also a good time to find a gas tank skid and bolt the whole thing up there. Use plenty of anti-seize on the bolts

They aren't called nut cert plates. The nuts aren't nut-certs, they are welded to the straps. If your dealer has trouble finding the correct part numbers, he should be looking at the illustration for either a factory hitch or a factory gas tank skid. Both include the nut strips in the kit, but the strips are also available as individual parts. Last time I bought some I think they cost about $17 each.

The bolts are 12mm. Don't recall the thread pitch, but I think it might be 12x1.75. The factory bolts have flaged heads, so if you buy them aftermarket you'll also need hardened washers.

52001174 - Passenger's side
52001175 - Driver's side

here are the part numbers for the nut strips

You should only need the drivers side one as the passengers side strip is already there for the exhaust hanger

thanks so much guys,
i am stunned by your knowledge and friendlyness

i will try to get the stuff tomorrow...

the tank skid plate: i'm not sure i know what you are talking about. my tank has a plastic cover held in place by two metal straps - that's not it, right?

thanks again,

micha

12mm 1.75 bolts are teh correct size as of the time i installed my drawtite.

torque specs should be 75 ft/lbs but i just tightened till i couldnt anymore with a 2' pipe on a 1' ratchet...

The gas tank skid plate is actually a steel "form" that fits over top of the gas tank and bolts up. It is many times over stronger than the plastic cover and virtually ensures that nothing will puncture your tank while off road, while the plastic cover can't guarantee that kind of protection.

If you have a junkyard near you with lots of XJs, just walk the lot and sqaut down behind each one. If you find a gas tank skid, you will know immediately.

I'm not sure what they are going for in the boneyard, but it will be worth the money. While you are at it, if the XJ in the boneyard has a gas skid, they may have a t-case skid and front skid as well. If you can find any or all of them, you are in good shape.

I have a factory tank and t-case skid on mine and am very happy with them. I know a lot of people use aftermarket skid protection and I'm sure they have opinions also, but, bottom line, if you can install a hitch and tank skid at the same time you will be miles ahead in time saved, and miles ahead in underbody protection.

Good luck...and you are right, there are some very knowledgable people here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You will get an answer!

XJ_ranger said:
12mm 1.75 bolts are teh correct size as of the time i installed my drawtite.

torque specs should be 75 ft/lbs but i just tightened till i couldnt anymore with a 2' pipe on a 1' ratchet...
Remember that torque specs are for clean, DRY fasteners. If using anti-sieze (whixch is strongly recommended) the torque should be reduced about 25%.

Eagle said:
Remember that torque specs are for clean, DRY fasteners. If using anti-sieze (whixch is strongly recommended) the torque should be reduced about 25%.
i didnt know that, intersting...

CherokeeGold said:
What year XJ are we talking about here? Would a 99 XJ already have the passenger side nut strip installed for the exhaust hanger?
Yes, it should. Newer ones have the nut strip on the passenger side from the factory, even w/o a hitch or skid.

Sorry, but I don't know what year they started that. I know that was NOT the case in 1988.

I bought a hitch at a swap meet last year. It's a "Drawtite". I went to the local U-Haul and bought a bag of nuts bolts and washers for $10.00. It came with a wire for installing the bolts. It's been working just fine.

If I get a tank skid, can I use these same bolts?

Thanks. Sorry if I hiJacked.

Yes you can, they actually share quite a few of the same bolts. Just be careful not to push them up into the frame rail when raising the skid/hitch combo into place!

Back