• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ questions....

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all....new hear...had my 93 xj for about a year now and i'm looking to get another one...prefferably w/ no rust...mine is horrible....holes the size of my fist all over the floor. My question is my g/f bought a 98 xj and it seems so much more fragile than mine if i were to take it through the woods...my 93 has a 3" lift and no "minor glitches" howeever the 98 has a instrument cluster problem, the reverse lights only light up sometimes, the power windows only work sometimes , the airbag light flashes every now and then, to me it seems like an electrical problem....but ive driven multiple newer xj's and they all seem like they just arent as rugged. I read the other thread about which year xj is the best and didnt get too much out of it. So in a nut shell, should i look for older xj's like my 93-96 maybe or should i go for a newer one w/ less miles on it? Thanks for any info.

I've had a 94 and a 99. my 99 is definetly a better rig, it feels more solid and sturdy, and i like having one with less miles which is a big plus. i have always heard that the 99 is hte best year, but that might just be an opinion. good luck with your new xj

On your girlfriends 98 you can do two things, remove the instrument cluster and clean the connectors yourself, apply some dielectric grease and reinstall or take it to the dealer and pay $200 for them to replace the two sockets behind the instrument panel. That should solve the funky cluster problem, if the gas gauge reads intermittently it's because the sender is flaking off back on the fuel pump, only fix is either new sender or new fuelpump/sender.
Windows are probably loose connections but check the screws that hold the motors together. One guy on another board had a similar problem, had to slam the door to get it to work so he decided to wait it out, when it did fail he found it failed because the motor fell apart from the screws falling out. Slamming the door allowed the parts in the motor to temp line up and work...

So these problems on my gf's 98 are common? Should i stay away from that year? I will try the fix myself first....thanks for the help guys.

Yes pretty common, depends on what month it was built, the 97XJ had a recall for the fuel pump sender, my 98 was build in Oct of 97 and is not covered cause it's a 98 model year, DC waffled out of that one but I guess they used up all the crappy pump/sender units. Also get ready for a leaky evaporator, both XJ's and ZJ's are prone for that so when the AC dies be ready for a stiff repair bill, the evaporator is in the heater box, 8 hours labor on that puppy, the whole dash has to come out.
Otherwise I love my 98 and have over 200,000 mi on it. What I hate about it is they used some cheap assed components in expensive areas to have fixed. Also check to see if hers has had the recalls done, airbag controller relocation from under the drivers seat to under the console, if you have a metal box under the drivers seat it was not done. Master cylinder inspection. Recall on the front rotors, mostly in the North East, laminated rotors would seperate from rust and corrosion, they replace them with new ones but you gotta pay for the pads if you want that done at the same time. www.alldata.com has a listing of recalls and TSB's...

Back