• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with loosening tie rod! PLEASE!

kmagnuss_2000

NAXJA Forum User
Ummmm.. yeah. I've been trying to get my tie rod to loosen for the past 6 hours to adjust my toe in problem since the new 4" I put on. WTF am I doing wrong? I loosened up the clamps on both sides of the tie rod...I've been soaking it in PB Blaster all day...I've been kicking the crap out of some vice grips on there...so what should I do?

They can be a royal pain. There is a special tool made to loosen tierods that are tight, but a large pipe wrench works most of the time. ViceGrips just don't have the biting power to grab hard enough.

Just went through that. On mine, I soaked it with PB Blaster every day for a week. Even then, I had to use the biggest pipe wrench in my plumber's set, brace my shoulder on the bumper, and pull with both hands. Once you get yours moving, I suggest that you take the tie rod completely off, wire brush the threads on the rod ends, then slather everything with anti-sieze before reassembling.

I finally got it today. I bought some sort of pipe wrench from Home Depot that increases the clamping pressure more as you push on it. It worked like a champ. Best $10 I ever spent. It even came with a smaller one for little pipes. Hooray.

for next time after you soak an while with Blaster then take two hammers put one on back side of sleeve and strike sleeve opposite with other hammer the vibration will work wonders

Back