• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt wobbling

rockethound

NAXJA Forum User
91 4.0 HO built is wobbling from the fan to the crank pulley. What could be causing this and if it's belt tension, what's the best way to fix this?

Pick up an FSM, Chilton's or Haynes Manual.

In the meantime, check for missing/loose bolts on all the belt pulley's on the front of the motor.

To tighten the serpentine belt, there is a 13mm(might be 15mm) bolt, underneath the power steering resevoir, which adjusts the entire assembly left and right. Study the assembly and you'll be able to figure out the rest....

rockethound said:
91 4.0 HO built is wobbling from the fan to the crank pulley. What could be causing this and if it's belt tension, what's the best way to fix this?

Check your crank pulley. There's a rubber filling in the sandwich of the outer and inner parts of the pulley. Eventually the rubber breaks down and the outer part separates from the inner part. If that's what has happened, change the crank pulley ASAP before it separates altogether (though it'll probably throw off the belt first).

My belt squeels when i turn on the A/C. could this actually be the problem?

And i know this will sound like a stupid question, but is the large pulley at the bottom of the pulley system the crank pulley?

rockethound said:
My belt squeels when i turn on the A/C. could this actually be the problem?

And i know this will sound like a stupid question, but is the large pulley at the bottom of the pulley system the crank pulley?

Yes it is... if it appears to have a thin strip of rubber spitting out of it, the crank (balancer) pulley is starting to fail and should be replaced...

First off though, I'd tighten the belt up and see if that cures the squeal... they like to run TIGHT.

Back