• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent Surging And Jolting

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Further to the subject, my 130K mile 93' Sport has started to surge and jolt occassionally when it is driving. It initially happened a few months ago and disappeared, but then it re-occurred about a month ago, then last night driving home from work, it did it for most of the way home (about a 25 minute drive).

In trying to describe what happens, it just seems to jolt and then have the power die off, only to surge back after a few seconds - even though my foot pressure on the accelerator pedal is constant during it all.

I've had a look on a few other threads, and I think it might be the TPS, b/c as far as I'm aware, it's never been replaced. If it is this sensor, does anyone know if a person with average mechanical skills is able to do the job at home with regular tools ? Also, does this sensor need to be specially adjusted or similar ? If so, how ?

Any ideas as to the cause and solution would be greatly appreciated.

B Rgds,

Quarterwave

Did the Check Engine light come on?
Check your PCM for codes. A bad TPS will trigger fault code 24. Replacing the TPS is just a 10 minute job. All you need is a size 20 Torx bit to undo the two screws that hold the TPS in place. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, unplug the wiring harness connector, remove the TPS, install the new one, reconnect the battery, and Bob's your uncle.

Thx Doc. Although, I have no error codes showing up on the dash. I thought it might have been a fuel blockage or something like that, but this car in particular seems to have some electrical gremlins that are always really hard to hunt down.

Eg : the light that lights up my HVAC control doesn't come on at night, along with the lights that light up the cigarette lighter icon and headlight icon on the dash faceplate.

Plus, the fact that it's over a decade old, I'm sure that during it's life it hasn't been looked after as well as I try to take care of it.

Thx again,

Quarterwave

Back