• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 Help needed

midnightrunxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I scored a free 1984 waggoner. Its got the 2.5 carbed. Motor runs good and all but there is a horrible clunking noise coming for where the trans meets the engine. I checked all trans to engine bolts today and checked the converter to flywheel bolts. The jeeps has just had a new 3 speed auto trans put in it by the previous owner. Linkage or anything else has not been hooked back up. From the looks of it there is a new blue converter in there but i cant really tell. The bolts form the flywheel to the converter get tight but somehow it seems like there is some play in there. Has anyone had this problem before??
I havent driven this yet or started but a couple of times to see what the problem is. I think my bolt holes could be oblinged causing play. But i still dont understand how this could produce this knocking noise. I have a spare aw4 laying around in good condition. Could i retrofit this to work? Again i have no idea because i have always owned 4.0's( dojnt know about kickdown cable or TCU)

Oh yea and this thing looks like it had a slip yoke eliminator on it. It has a fixed mount on the transfer case. Pretty cool.

Please help

thanks

Sure its not a motor mount or tc mount? I think also the 2.5 has a front bar type engine mount( at least the 84 I looked at) that looks like a good canidate for failure. Is the flex plate loose? might wanna check it as well.

Sounds like maybe the bolts holding the TC to the ring gear plate may be too long. If they went from a manual tranny to an auto, the bolts holding on the flywheel are too long to use to hold the ring gear plate. Just a thought.

Well I have the right TC because it was made in west germany(and its new yea!) But my flexplate is shot. All the bolt hose are wallowed out due to loose bolts. So now I have to find one of them(anyone got one). Went to the local cherokee U-pull it wil no luck. Called advance today and the guy said he could order one for $67, but i find that hard to belive. Anyone have any suggestions?? Oh and i need a dipstick tube too if anyone has one.

Back